Who We Are:
Calico (Calico Life Sciences LLC) is an Alphabet-founded research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies and model systems to increase our understanding of the biology that controls human aging. Calico will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Calico’s highly innovative technology labs, its commitment to curiosity-driven discovery science and, with academic and industry partners, its vibrant drug-development pipeline, together create an inspiring and exciting place to catalyze and enable medical breakthroughs.
Calico is seeking an expert genomics-facing Data Scientist to join our multidisciplinary team of genomics experts, biologists, and computer scientists. This brand-new role will connect the needs of both basic and translational scientists throughout Calico with timely, expert data analysis, helping move our science forward.
Our world-class Genomics team generates volumes of complex data, spanning modalities that range from multi-omic, single-cell data to spatial transcriptomics to polished whole genomes. This role will take the lead in partnering with our discovery labs to develop, invent when necessary, and implement novel analysis pipelines to extract key insights that will further our understanding of aging. Our ideal candidate is someone who sees themselves as a passionate inventor and user of genomics data and who thrives when given space to innovate.
- Implementing custom data analysis solutions that range from in-house algorithms to open-source solutions to off-the-shelf software
- Working with scientists throughout R&D to clean, process, visualize, and interpret experimental results in a biological context
- Collaborating with scientists on experimental designs to ensure downstream analyses are actionable and impactful
- Staying up-to-date on cutting-edge technology and developing new analysis methods based on demand
- Empowering and coaching fellow scientists on their own single-cell and bulk genomics analysis needs
- Ph.D. in computer science, mathematics, biology, or related discipline
- Successful track record building algorithms and pipelines for processing and analysis of genomics data
- Strong coding skills, ideally with experience in both R and Python
- Expert knowledge of analysis software and available tools (e.g. Scanpy, Seurat)
- Sufficient biology background to guide and inform analysis approaches and help interpret data
- Able to work in a dynamic environment, nimbly moving from one project one week and to another the next, depending on need and potential impact
- Values scientific discovery and has an unquenchable curiosity
- Must be willing to work onsite three days a week
The estimated base salary range for this role is $120,000 - $145,000. Actual pay will be based on a number of factors including experience and qualifications. This position is also eligible for two annual cash bonuses.
Calico requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Calico will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.