Who we are:
Calico (Calico Life Sciences LLC) is an Alphabet-founded research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies and model systems to increase our understanding of the biology that controls human aging. Calico will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Calico’s highly innovative technology labs, its commitment to curiosity-driven discovery science and, with academic and industry partners, its vibrant drug-development pipeline, together create an inspiring and exciting place to catalyze and enable medical breakthroughs.
Calico is seeking an exceptional Senior/Principal Research Associate who is excited to be part of a research team exploring mechanisms of tissue homeostasis and aging. The selected candidate will employ cutting-edge cellular and microscopy approaches in mouse and human tissues to understand what goes wrong as tissues age and in age-associated diseases. In this role you will be able to work both independently and collaboratively and contribute to several projects in the Gillich lab and multi-disciplinary research with Calico scientists. The ideal candidate will be a skilled, thoughtful and organized experimentalist with a passion for research, attention to detail and exceptional planning, problem-solving and critical thinking skills. This position is ideal for a candidate seeking to perform early-stage discovery research in a dynamic R&D environment with an opportunity to expand their skill set.
- Design, execute and analyze experiments in mouse and human tissues
- Develop and implement new techniques to support ongoing projects
- Work closely with team members, delivering and communicating results
- BS or MS degree with 2+ years of laboratory research experience. Salary and title commensurate with experience
- Experience with cell/tissue processing for microscopy, flow cytometry, transcriptome profiling and/or culture
- Experience or interest in cell/tissue analysis using immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization and advanced microscopy
- Strong attention to detail, excellent planning and problem-solving skills
- Candidate must be self-motivated, organized and adaptable, being able to learn quickly, respond to shifting priorities and handle projects simultaneously
- Must be willing to work onsite at least four days a week
Nice To Have:
- Skilled with mouse handling and dosing
- Experience with cell/nuclei isolation from mouse and human tissues and single-cell library preparation for NGS
- Familiarity with molecular biology techniques
- Knowledge of basic statistics, image and genomic data analysis tools
Calico requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Calico will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.