Purpose of Position
As lead of one of our cross-functional agile engineering teams, this role reports to the Head of Engineering in London. You will be involved in all aspects of ensuring your team delivers quality new features and maintains our award-winning affiliate marketing platform.
As a team lead, you are not just an expert in your technical stack; you are part coder, part architect, and part line manager. You enjoy writing SOLID, secure & well-tested code, and are able to design solutions for features and issues. You enjoy coaching and mentoring colleagues to improve their skills, extending their awareness from the codebase to include topics such as quality, environments and delivery. Your team’s performance is important to you, but so is the way they go about their work, and you’re keen to show how Agile can improve their deliveries.
- Design and build high-volume distributed systems utilising streaming and queueing solutions
- Own a series of application and services within the broader Awin estate
- Guide, mentor, motivate and organise your engineers
- Work with Product Managers and Owners to convert user stories to features and tasks
- Coordinate the responsibilities of your team to ensure smooth delivery
- Collaborate with your fellow lead engineers on cross-service implementations
- Lead a team with a well described and groomed product backlog using agile methodologies and practices
- Contribute to reviews, retrospectives, planning and development sessions, helping to shape development technologies and practices
- Communicate effectively in both verbal (day-to-day discussions, team meetings) and written forms (documentation, emails, messaging tools) with team members regardless of proximity
- Work with your team to ensure quality is high and issues are addressed correctly
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in a timely and proactive fashion
Skills & Expertise
- Minimum 6 years commercial experience with PHP (5.6, 7 & 8), Symfony, PHPUnit/phpspec, MySQL
- Strong knowledge of Git
- Automated testing, starting with TDD and through to performance and security testing
- Comfortable building microservice applications for AWS using serverless technologies, ideally utilising message brokers such as Kafka, Kinesis or Google pub-sub
- Passion for writing elegant code and a desire to constantly refactor and improve legacy applications, with a good understanding of SOLID design principles and OOP
- Non-relational databases (e.g. MongoDB), in-memory search tools (ElasticSearch)
- Maintaining CI/CD pipelines (ideally Jenkins)
- Working on subscription or high-volume transactional systems
- With staff physical and mental wellbeing at the forefront of our minds, we have shifted to a 4-day working week, offering our employees a greater work-life balance
- Whether you enjoy working from the office or from home, Awin allows you to decide. Our “Work Wherever” policies also make it possible for employees to work from Awin locations all over the world
- Private health insurance that covers several types of health, vision and dental treatments
- Taking care of your mental wellbeing by offering access to various mental health initiatives
Established in 2000, Awin is proud of our dynamic, social and inclusive culture.
Like all businesses, we’ve had to adapt and nurture our culture in a virtual environment. Our virtual ‘Life @ Awin’ hub brings our colleagues from across the globe together for various social activities.
Diversity & Inclusion are paramount to us, and we proudly pursue and hire diverse team members. We champion uniqueness and authenticity; this is who we are at our core. Our network of affiliate partnerships are diverse and transparent, as are the employees powering our vision to build the world’s leading open partner ecosystem. We welcome all backgrounds, identities, and experiences. If you need support at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
Apply now to begin the next stage of your career at a progressive company that supports both your professional and personal development.