Purpose of Position
Awin's Product Development department is responsible for all stages of the product lifecycle - from ideation to market release, ongoing operation and continuous improvement. With our main locations being Berlin, London and Hanover, this department is 90 people strong.
Working within one of our agile Engineering teams, this role reports to a Lead Engineer. You will be working closely with your team members to write and test code, implement new features and maintain our award-winning affiliate marketing platform.
As a Software Engineer, writing SOLID, secure & well-tested code is just the beginning of your skill set. You have commercial experience in your technical stack, are able to learn quickly and work on tasks efficiently with support from Senior Engineers. You are flexible working with different technologies as needed. You enjoy learning new approaches and methodologies to improve your skills, extending your awareness from the codebase to include topics such as quality, environments and delivery.
You are a passionate and innovative technologist with a proactive, quality first approach to development and keen to gain exposure to the latest development practices and toolsets within an interactive and fun development environment. We value fresh perspectives, continuous personal growth, diversity and a healthy work-life balance. For example: We're currently trialling a 4-day-week at full salary, and flexible remote working comes by default with a home office budget.
The mission of our Billing & Finance engineering team is to provide seamless invoicing and payment operations on our affiliate marketing platform. We work with an exciting mixture of technologies including Java, AWS, Kafka, Jenkins, Micro-services (Docker, REST) and Angular.
- Code development, refactoring and innovation
- Contribute to building new products and help shape development technologies and practices
- Help re-engineer and continuously improve existing applications
- Work with Product Managers to convert user stories to features and tasks
- Grapple with business logic and help solve business needs
- Design and build distributed systems using streaming and queueing solutions
- Work with new technologies and be encouraged to experiment and innovate
As a Software Engineer, you will:
- Work inside a small team with a well described and groomed product backlog and be comfortable with agile methodologies and practices
- Develop code and contribute to reviews, retrospectives, planning and development sessions
- Contribute to group development initiatives and discussions
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in a timely fashion when required – assisted by senior engineers
- Communicate effectively in both verbal (day-to-day discussions, team meetings) and written forms (documentation, emails, communication tools) with local and remote team members
Whilst the above is a guide to general expectation of the role, we expect this position to evolve allowing you greater scope to gain both knowledge and experience within the online and affiliate marketplace.
Skills & Expertise
To be successful you will need to meet the below requirements:
- Minimum 3 years commercial Software Engineering experience
- Experience using Java, Maven, RESTful APIs and Microservices, Unit testing and SQL
- Passion for writing elegant code and a desire to constantly refactor and improve, with a good understanding of SOLID design principles and OOP
- You are open minded to trying new approaches, technical and procedural
- Experience working within a cross-functional engineering team alongside Product Owners, UX Designers and Agile Coaches
- Strong knowledge of Git and agile processes
Although not required, we would be excited if you had experience with some of the below:
- Knowledge of streaming and queuing solutions (ideally Kafka)
- Experience working with front-end code, ideally using Angular
- Non-relational databases (e.g. MongoDB) and/or Elasticsearch
- Building systems cloud-first (Docker, AWS - Lambda, DynamoDB, and related serverless technologies)
- Maintaining CI/CD pipelines
- Understanding the concepts of DDD and hexagonal architecture
- Working on subscription or high-volume transactional systems
- With work-life balance at the forefront of Awin's ethos, we have switched to a 4-day week on a trial basis enabling our employees to have more time for family, friends, hobbies or anything else
- Flexible working hours, home-office options and a beautiful office in the heart of Berlin
- Take care of your mental wellbeing with access to various mental health initiatives and support
- Numerous training opportunities to nurture self-development
Established in 2000, Awin is proud of our dynamic, social and inclusive culture.
Like all businesses, we’ve had to adapt and nurture our culture in a virtual environment. Our virtual ‘Life @ Awin’ hub brings our colleagues from across the globe together for various social activities.
Diversity & Inclusion are paramount to us, and we proudly pursue and hire diverse team members. We champion uniqueness and authenticity; this is who we are at our core. Our network of affiliate partnerships are diverse and transparent, as are the employees powering our vision to build the world’s leading open partner ecosystem. We welcome all backgrounds, identities, and experiences. If you need support at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
Apply now to begin the next stage of your career at a progressive company that supports both your professional and personal development.