A-Alpha Bio is an early-stage and rapidly-growing drug discovery company headquartered in Seattle, WA. We are enabling the next generation of high-impact therapeutics by combining high-throughput synthetic biology with state-of-the-art machine learning. We partner with leading pharma and biotech companies to enable the discovery of antibodies, molecular glues, and other protein interaction-related drugs. In parallel, we use our AlphaSeq technology internally to build a Biologics Pipeline for clinical development and/or asset licensing opportunities.
This role is not open to remote applicants and would require relocation to Seattle, WA.
Starting Salary Range: $71,000 - $82,000 per year
Exemption Status: Exempt
Location Expectations: Onsite
We are seeking a Research Associate to join our Technical Operations team to execute workflows supporting our AlphaSeq platform for drug discovery and optimization. The role will primarily execute yeast matings and DNA library prep for Next-Generation Sequencing. They may also perform yeast transformations and flow cytometry to support production of yeast libraries and interrogation of protein-protein interactions, as well as operate NGS systems. The ideal candidate will have strong organizational skills, impeccable attention to detail, and an interest in executing screening assays at scale. Aptitude for improving laboratory methods is also desirable.
- Perform yeast matings.
- Execute DNA library preparation and sequencing workflows for Illumina and Oxford Nanopore Technologies platforms.
- Perform flow cytometry, cell sorting, and library transformations, as needed.
- Support development and optimization of standard operating procedures for new experimental workflows.
- Provide support for experimental and data analysis for internal and external projects.
- Train and mentor new Research Associates, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Life/Chemical/Physical/Engineering Sciences.
- 2+ years of relevant laboratory experience in industry or academia.
- Proficiency in standard molecular biology techniques, including DNA extractions, quantitative PCR, and fragment analysis.
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
- Flexibility in day-to-day schedule and willingness to work outside of standard hours when necessary, including weekends.
- Hands-on experience with Illumina, ONT, and PacBio next-generation sequencing platforms.
- Experience with liquid handling robots.
- Experience with multi-parametric flow cytometry and cell sorting.
- Experience using yeast as a model organism.
- Experience with LIMS systems.
We offer competitive compensation, including benefits and equity in a fast-growing start-up. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the United States.
About A-Alpha Bio
A-Alpha Bio is an early-stage biotechnology company combining synthetic biology and machine learning to dramatically improve the discovery of high-impact therapeutics. We believe that abundant high-quality data is critical for understanding biology and curing disease – and synthetic biology is our catalyst. Our proprietary AlphaSeq platform uses genetically engineered cells to quantitatively measure millions of protein interactions – from which we generate high-resolution models of biology.
In 2018, we spun out of the University of Washington’s Institute for Protein Design and Center for Synthetic Biology – both fantastic communities of brilliant and highly entrepreneurial scientists. Since the company’s inception, we have focused on partnering with pharmaceutical companies to discover and optimize drugs for therapeutic areas ranging from infectious disease to cancer. We are growing rapidly, and new members of the team should expect a fast-paced and highly dynamic work environment. We are building a diverse, meritocratic, and supportive team that shares our values of speaking the truth, shooting for the moon, taking the reins, playing for the team, and improving the world.
A-Alpha Bio is headquartered in a brand-new combined office/lab space in downtown Seattle's Belltown neighborhood. While the startup lifestyle occasionally requires grueling hours, we strongly value the need for a work-life balance and time out of the lab/office. We are fortunate to be situated in a region that is renowned for its premier outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, climbing, skiing, kayaking, and sailing. At A-Alpha, you’ll find many who love the outdoors, but also gamers, amateur chefs, explorers, sports fans, bakers, crafters, photographers, brewers, jetsetters, animal lovers, and artists. Whatever your passions, you belong at A-Alpha Bio.