Product Manager and Client Advisor
About Our Company
Since 1995, Embark has been the leading provider of online application and admissions software to colleges, universities, and fellowship programs around the world. To date, we've powered more than 15 million student applications to clients including Harvard, Stanford, NYU, and the Rhodes Scholarships. Our headquarters are in 3 World Trade Center in New York City.
Our admissions platform is always evolving and we're also creating new solutions to match students with educational opportunities. Most recently, we’ve been helping students apply for federal aid so we can help them access a college education and are partnering with a public financial services company to roll out this initiative more broadly.
Do you love technology and have a soft spot for academia? We’d love to hear from you.
As a Product Manager and Client Advisor, you will be a hands-on leader within our company. We are looking for someone who can be strategic about the product’s direction, but is also ready to roll up his or her sleeves to engage with our clients and users. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved with the various aspects of running a technology start-up.
As a product manager, you will work to define features for our engineering team to build and help keep product plans on track. You will be asked to keep track of issues over time and help synthesize those into tangible product improvements. We’re looking for someone who can help resolve technical issues in the short-term, and have a long-term eye on changes we can make to our product to increase usability and client satisfaction. The input you provide will directly guide our product roadmap.
As a Client Advisor, you will be leading a small team of first responders for all technical questions from our users. You may be asked to investigate a possible software error or you may need to provide training on proper system use. Your job will be to listen to our users, separate true technical issues from simple user error, and explain to others how to fix problems. As the team works to resolve technical issues that you’ve identified, we will ask for your help in testing those fixes to ensure they resolve the error. In addition to playing a hands-on role, you will manage others who perform this role full-time. We’d love for you to develop an on-going relationship with our clients, and are ideally looking for a candidate who is looking for a 5+ year commitment.
The balance of activities can vary during the application season, but a rough daily balance could be approximately:
- 1 hour of product planning - a combination of mapping out feature details for the engineering team, conducting research, and prioritizing what should be built next.
- 3-4 hours of email, phone or video calls and training to answer questions from client administrators, as well as users who call in for help. This may include helping clients to configure how their implementations are set up using technologies we can teach you. Since you’ll be the one to help escalate issues to our tech team if needed, we’d look for someone who is able to monitor email and slack (checking at least once daily after EOB on weekdays) during non-business hours.
- 1-2 hours of application testing to help verify coding updates, including fixes for issues surfaced by users through our support portal. Additional time might be spent ensuring application stability, and recommending product enhancements based on issues encountered and resolved with users.
- <1 hour of project-based work based on current business activities such as business development, based on the candidate’s interests and background
We need someone who is able to quickly analyze problems, create solutions, and provide efficient and diplomatic responses to our users. While a computer science background is not required, you will need quickly to learn the capabilities of our software suite and master their use.
You will be helping a variety of people from experts to beginners, so you should possess a friendly attitude, a well-organized approach to problem solving, and patience.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Undergraduate degree with strong academic performance (since we serve a college admissions client base ) and potentially a graduate degree (MBA, STEM degree) as well
- 2+ years of experience in a customer facing role.
- Excellent written communication skills and high attention to detail.
- Friendly demeanor that is motivated towards helping others solve problems.
- Comfortable with analyzing and troubleshooting software problems.
- Basic competency with Microsoft Office, Excel and Powerpoint.
Preferred Skills (not required, but helpful):
- Basic knowledge of HTML, Database structures, and web site development or a strong interest to learn (we’d be happy to teach you).
Full health and dental benefits. Our work environment is casual but fast-paced and a position at our firm is as challenging and fulfilling as any within the technology sector.