Since 1995, Embark has been the leading provider of online application and admissions software to colleges, universities, and fellowship programs around the world. To date, we've powered more than 14 million students applications to clients including Harvard, Stanford, NYU, and the Rhodes and Fulbright fellowships.
Our admissions platform is always evolving and we're also creating new solutions to match students with educational opportunities. Think of our new service as a Priceline for university education where schools are able to fill their open seats with talented students. We recently launched a brand new platform written in a modern tech stack and there are many exciting engineering challenges, including the application of machine learning to our matching problem.
Embark is profitable and growing and has attracted strong investor interest, so we are looking for a collaborative leader who can be hands-on and support the company through its growth.
Engineering Team Overview
The Embark engineering team, while small, is sharp and proficient. We like to take big bets on people who bring passion and potential to their roles. Maybe you’ve been a CTO or Head of Engineering before or perhaps you were a superstar engineering lead in your prior role and are ready to tell us why you’re ready to take this on. We try to choose the right tool for each product need, incorporating technologies such as Elasticsearch, Redis, and distributed queues.
You’ll have a stellar partner in Embark’s Engineering Lead, who brings senior experience to the table and has helped take a fintech company public; now he is happiest keeping his focus on coding and mentorship of others. Our CEO is a Harvard computer scientist who won the international science fair and still likes to spend some of her time coding with the team. Our Operations Director teaches product management at General Assembly and also has direct experiences within the university admissions offices that we serve directly.
You will be responsible for all things technical at Embark, although you will have plenty of support. You will work closely with product and the organization to translate client needs into technical solutions. As we rapidly scale, you will lead and grow the organization with us. You will report directly to the CEO.
What You’ll be Doing
- Hands on coding (50%+ of your time)
- Sprint work plus building proofs of concept to advance and optimize the technology stack
- Engineering management (20%)
- Managing project milestones, progress and issues
- Owning architecture and infrastructure decisions
- Leading day-to-day engineering operations for the team in concert with the Engineering Lead
- Owning the agile methodologies and sprint expectations for the engineering team
- Advocating for the engineering team by prioritizing pay-down of technical debt
- Serving as a role model, teacher and leader for teammates across the entire organization
- Performance and infrastructure (10%)
- Owning product performance and ensuring that products are meeting customer SLAs
- Managing the health and cost of the products’ cloud infrastructure (we’re happy to help you get familiar with this if you don’t have prior exposure)
- Team and Coordination (20%)
- Building out the hiring roadmap and owning engineering recruiting pipeline
- Working daily with the CEO and product team to define and implement product strategy
- Managing client communications on behalf of the engineering team
What We’re Looking For
Most likely you have either a computer science or STEM degree from a top institution and/or experience at a high-performing tech company, but we are open to strong candidates who meet the following:
- Excellent understanding of systems architecture, technical design, data structures, and algorithms
- Track record of leading a top-tier engineering team (bonus points if you built it yourself)
- Skilled communicator both to technologists as well as business stakeholders
- Scaled a startup from early on or took over a small team within a large organization and grew it into a significant department
- Extremely helpful:
- Experience successfully recruiting top talent in competitive markets
- Able to understand and interact with the company’s entire technology stack, continuous integration environments, and infrastructure orchestration tools, including Heroku, AWS, Mongolabs
- Familiarity with cloud architectures, tools, and processes
- Significant contributions to open source projects or community organizations