About Our Company
Embark is the leading provider of online admissions software to colleges, universities, and fellowship around the world – we host both the website that students use to apply as well as the software that institutions use for recruiting, evaluation, and enrollment. So far, we’ve powered more than 14 million applications to thousands of organizations worldwide and our client list includes Harvard, Stanford, the Rhodes and Fulbright scholarships, and NYU, to name a few. More recently, we’ve started building an online marketplace for university education; in phase 1, think of a Priceline for university education where universities can find talented students in the summer for the empty seats they have available for the fall.
Embark’s New York headquarters is located in a Soho loft space in New York City. We’re a market leader, but proud of our fun, start-up culture, which keeps us nimble. We are committed to creating opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are a small team and you could have a huge impact.
Do you love technology and have a soft spot for academia? We’d love to hear from you.
As a Client Associate, you will be a critical point of contact for our clients worldwide. They are what you might expect from Deans or Directors of Admissions -- smart, demanding, and passionate about making their organizations successful.
Here’s how you might expect to spend your time after your initial training:
- Nurturing leads and prospective clients (40%)
- As part of the Client team, you will assist with sending outgoing campaigns, as well as respond to incoming inquiries and RFPs. You will be the face of Embark and present in-person and online demos of our latest platform to interested organizations. Once you’ve closed the opportunity, you’ll be responsible for negotiating contracts and agreements. You’ll always be looking for ways to optimize a client’s solution and sharing feedback with our product team. You may be asked to grow a new business by surveying a landscape and helping the team test for product market fit.
- Building important relationships with current clients and run the implementation (40%)
- As a Client Associate, you’ll also build and improve relationships with existing clients. You’ll coordinate with the engineering team to configure solutions for the admissions cycle, and we will teach you the coding skills you need to complete the work and help work with members of the implementation team. You’ll always be looking for ways to optimize a client’s solution and sharing feedback with our product team.
- Growing in a functional area of your interest (20%)
- With the remainder of your time, you’ll have the opportunity to explore other functional areas that interest you, including marketing, social media, finance, engineering, or product management. We believe this makes you a better Client Associate, with the added bonus of allowing you to expand your skill set.
The ideal Client Associate must be great with people, with the ability to present technical ideas with confidence and ease. He or she does not need to know how to code, but should have a fair amount of exposure to technology, with a genuine interest in learning more. He or she will need to quickly learn the capabilities of our software suite and master their use.
This role requires daily interaction with our client base, so you should possess a friendly, yet professional attitude, a well-organized approach to problem solving and a strong inclination to take proactive ownership of any issues that may arise. Finally, with multiple clients and deadlines to juggle, the Client Associate must be able to prioritize different tasks and be able to handle a fast-paced, deadline driven environment well. A great sense of humor helps!
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree with a strong GPA (3.5+)
- 2+ Years of Work Experience (our current client associates range from 4 to 15 years of work experience but we welcome mature candidates who could engage with our senior client base)
- Excellent written communication skills and high attention to detail.
- Friendly demeanor that is motivated towards helping others solve problems.
- Demonstrated aptitude with analyzing and troubleshooting software issues on Mac or PC.
- Basic competency with Microsoft Office, Excel and Powerpoint.
Preferred Skills (not required, but helpful):
- Basic knowledge of HTML, Database structures, website development, and SQL (Don’t worry -- we’ll teach this to you on the job if you don’t have it now!)
Competitive Salary, full health and dental benefits, and commission. Our work environment is casual but fast-paced and a position at our firm is as challenging and fulfilling as any within the technology sector.
Interested? Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com