Elevate K-12 is changing the way classrooms work through live, online, real-time instruction to K-12 schools. Our two main focuses are to give students the best quality instructors and get them ready for the world of the future and to give instructors, especially women, work opportunities, irrespective of zip codes. We are the new way to the classroom!
The Assistant Controller represents the interest of Elevate K12 shareholders and acts as the economic conscience of the company. He/She shares the responsibility for all accounting activities and decisions and is dedicated to the accomplishment of the company’s objectives and strategies. He/She shares the responsibility for all accounting activities and is dedicated to ensure generally accepted accounting principles and procedures are adhered.
The position is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The accounting manager will supervise Sr. Staff Accountant, AR/AP Coordinator, and is responsible for managing the team to ensure the work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Evaluates and makes appropriate improvements to internal accounting processes ensuring that practices are in line with overall goals of the organization
- Provides development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the work flow of the department
- Provides thoroughly training the new and existing staff, as needed
- Handles employee relations issues relating to personal conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Collaborates with other department managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Guides and leads all general ledger entries by maintaining records and files.
- Guides and leads all monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, fixed assets depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification of journal entries, if necessary.
- Performs general accounts analysis and reconciliations on a quarterly basis
- Supports and leads all accounting functions including, financial reporting, audits, and tax compliance and transaction processing
- Participates and leads annual audits and quarterly reviews done by internal and external auditors
- Supports and leads accounts receivable collections and reconciliations
- Preparation of monthly closings and accounting reports - Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Profit & Loss Statements
- Other duties may be assigned as needed in order to meet future business needs.
- Complies with US GAAP requirements, communicates the changes and/or the findings to his/her direct report.
- Obtains and maintains a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Prepares and files monthly / quarterly tax remittances as well as government surveys.
- Supports all cash activities within the company
- Prepares monthly / quarterly / yearly financial reportings - income statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements.
What you will need:
- At least 5-10 years of experience as an Accounting Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance. CPA Preferred but not required
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and analytical skills, strong creative ability in problem solving
- Minimal supervision of work or oversight is required; strong judgment skills and decision making ability; highly self-motivated
- Good knowledge of US GAAP
- Working knowledge of relevant software tools (MS Office, Netsuite)
- Demonstrates proficiency in professional accounting skills; keeps current with developments and trends. Knowledge and ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in fast-paced, dynamic environment with minimal supervision
- Strong project management skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in order to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Displays a high level of curiosity and engagement and translates it into new approaches to solutions
Be Part Of Our Story:
Elevate K-12 is tasked with an important mission: change the way K-12 classrooms and teaching work. Our organization is a radically open-minded company that is scaling fast. We are a team focused on high performance, dynamism and embodying a collaborative culture at all levels. Our teammates are able to have open, honest discussions that drive us toward our mission. Elevate K-12 is in a stage of hyper growth that will continue to open up new challenges and opportunities for our team.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity, gender expression, change of sex, and transgender status), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request.