Senior DevOps Engineer
Who We Are at Elemy:
Elemy is the nationwide provider of childhood mental healthcare and behavioral therapy in the US. Our platform matches families with like-minded therapists resulting in better care that helps children with conditions such as autism, ADHD, and anxiety & depression disorder learn new behaviors and reach life-changing milestones faster.
Since launching in April 2020, Elemy has become one of the fastest-growing healthcare companies in the United States. The company has raised over $200M to date and is backed by some of the most prominent investors in healthcare and technology, including General Catalyst, Founders Fund, SoftBank, Goodwater, Bling Capital, and 8VC.
Senior Production Engineer at Elemy
The Elemy Engineering team is looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to be the tech leader in a brand-new Organization focused on our production transactional databases, Redis, Memcached, AWS Aurora, Kafka, resilience and high availability, load balancing, sharding, and helping to build our data platform atop Kubernetes. You will be a key owner with the focus and mindset on enabling best-of-breed transactional databases best practices to ensure optimum performance and scale with an exciting mission to bootstrap adoption of the industry’s leading-edge SRE, and DevOps principles and best practices at Elemy.
This organization provides around-the-clock situational awareness and leadership in the swift repair of any service-impacting issues - a key capability driving customer success. As a leader of the Engineering team and one of the tech leaders of our SRE team, you will be responsible for detecting and resolving system failures and complex outages, including the creation of the observability tooling necessary for our success. This objective is met by monitoring the services, reacting to problems, proactively addressing issues before they affect performance or availability, and working with Engineering teams to define service level objectives and improving service design and implementation to increase reliability through closed-loop feedback. SRE balances proactive automation with reactive operations and targets 50%+ of time spent on improving service design for reliability, extending monitoring and operational automation, driving self-healing and resiliency initiatives, and game day exercises. The incumbent in this role would demonstrate a strong focus on tactical operations, as well as large-scale production engineering and orchestration.
As an Engineering technical leader, you will be responsible for internal products, systems, and tools, providing technical leadership to key projects, and empowering and developing other engineers to do the same. Behind every data-informed decision or data-driven product/services our users, customers, and partners will use will be on the shoulders of the architecture and systems this team will work on and that is working extremely hard to keep it running in a resilient and fault-tolerant high quality of service levels. From developing and maintaining our cloud infrastructure, data infrastructure and to help your engineering peers build, test, and deploy their code rapidly and without impediments and with great agility and speed to help the entire company help our clinicians and caregivers do what is best for children across the US.
Instrument infrastructure monitoring, application performance monitoring (APM), and tracing using Infrastructure Monitoring combined with something like Ansible roles and Terraform providers for Elemy’s services.
We want to become the lead-by-example team and be super proud to be our engineers' engineers. We take pride in ownership and we love when things are seamless in all we do. We're always on call to keep our offerings up and running, ensuring our customers have the best and fastest experience possible.
Who You Are
- BS level technical degree OR 5+ years of professional experience
- 4+ years of experience in at least two of the following languages: C, C++, Java, Spring, Scala, Python, Go. Ability to pick up new languages and tech stack
- 2+ years experience in Containerization, AWS ECS, AWS EKS, Kubernetes, etc.
- 3+ years experience working in an AWS (required) or Azure or GCP cloud environment
- 2+ years with Aurora DB (PostgreSQL) or similar, Memcached, Redis
- Experience with architecting and automating cloud-native technologies, deploying applications, and provisioning infrastructure
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code, using CloudFormation, Terraform, or other tools.
- Experience architecting cloud-native CI/CD workflows and tools (e.g. Jenkins, BitBucket, TeamCity, Code Deploy (AWS), GitLab)
- Some architectural leadership experience with microservices and distributed applications, such as containers, Kubernetes, and/or serverless technology
- Experience with the full software development lifecycle and delivery using Agile practices.
- Experience in Unix/Linux environments with a good understanding of operating systems internals (e.g., filesystems, system calls)
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, routing, and load balancing technologies
- Working knowledge of design principles of monitoring and alerting systems
- Experience in APM tools (e.g. Dynatrace, New Relic) and operational logging tools (e.g. Splunk)
- Experience with on-call rotation, leading incident response, game days, and no-blame postmortem analysis
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks
- Ability to operate in a high-pressure environment, troubleshoot complex issues quickly, and successfully handle multiple priorities
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
Elemy is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We celebrate diversity and welcome applicants from every background and life experience.
Please stay alert to protect yourself from sophisticated job scams during the recruiting process. Only emails that come from @elemy.com are legitimate recruiting messages. We conduct all interviews by phone and Google Video, and we will never ask you for money or to download software. Please be vigilant and review elemy’s career site for all valid roles and their job descriptions, if you are interested in a specific role, please apply directly on our career site. If you have any questions about the legitimacy of outreach from Elemy, please contact us at email@example.com to verify.