This is a full-time, remote-friendly, competitively paid position with benefits. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Minneapolis and are open to hiring fully remote candidates in the U.S. based on their level of experience.
We’re an early stage, well-funded startup team with a proven track record of shipping open source software with global adoption. Over the past year, the Dagster community has grown to 5,000 members across over 1,000+ organizations using the Dagster framework to orchestrate and manage their data. Our users have different backgrounds and skill sets and represent organizations across many industries, from healthcare to quantum computing.
As a team, we put a premium on respectful, clear, and complete communication, and we expect each other to be creative, curious, effective, and empathetic. We believe deeply that the right tools and abstractions enable not just technological transformation, but also organizational transformation. We strive to put the developer and their challenges at the center of our decision making. All of our open source work is done publicly. You can gain context about how we collaborate as a team and the problems we work on by exploring GitHub and looking at our code reviews.
About the role
You will work with our users to deeply understand their pain points and obstacles as they evaluate, onboard and adopt Dagster. Your job will be to evangelize and explain Dagster’s core concepts, best practices, and capabilities through the creation of educational content. As the first dev advocate and one of the foundational members of the dev relations team, you’ll help us shape the function inside Dagster.
As a Data Engineer / Developer Advocate at Elementl, you will:
- Dogfood data engineering projects in Dagster to understand the frictions and pains felt by the user
- Work to understand the big picture needs for Dagster product education; develop an opinion around steps to take to achieve big picture goals
- Engage with users: develop relationships with highly engaged users, help users to be productive and successful with Dagster, gather feedback on behalf of the community to influence product direction, prioritize developer needs, and explore trends
- Utilize your experience as a software engineer to create high-quality technical content that is targeted at specific user needs. This could include the creation of video content (workshops, webinars, demos), blog articles, and example tutorials/notebooks.
- Represent Dagster in the developer community: attend and present at external conferences, participate in community events and office hours, and help to strengthen our welcoming, inclusive, and supportive community environment.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with engineering, product, design, and operations
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience working as a data engineer
- Passion for written communication
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with data developers with technical precision and authenticity
- Proficiency in Python
Bonus points for:
- You are a current Dagster user and/or an existing community member
- Experience fostering and building relationships with technical communities
This is a full-time, competitively paid position with benefits. We have offices across the U.S. and flexible working hours. Every employee is provided a remote work stipend to cover the cost of home office equipment and anything else that makes your remote work location comfortable, productive, or successful. And if you’d rather not work from home, we’ll cover the cost of a coworking or office space if you’re fully remote.
You belong here
We are committed to building an inclusive team and an open source community where no one feels out of place. We know that teams with diverse backgrounds state their assumptions more explicitly, think more rigorously, and build better software. Plus it's more fun and interesting to work with a wide variety of perspectives.
You should apply to work at Elementl if you want to work in, and help to build and strengthen, a high-performing software development environment where people of all backgrounds are welcome.
Dagster is built in Python and TypeScript to work on macOS, Posix, and Windows. We use GraphQL, Apollo, and React to develop beautiful frontend tooling. We integrate with a wide range of databases, data warehouses, orchestration engines, compute substrates, and cloud services.