At Element Biosciences, we are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics with unprecedented flexibility and quality that enable researchers to better understand biology for the improvement of global health. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are seeking a talented Staff Software Engineer to make an impactful contribution to the react based kiosk app that runs on our device and the same underlying platform for our web app. The ideal candidate has built web-based UI using react and has experience using the same stack for an electron based linux app. Experience with electron-based development on linux, is a must. This is an incredible opportunity for someone who is ready to support their own development and deployment operations (DevOps), automate all their testing, and secure and support the system as a whole. This role will report to the Sr Principal Software Engineer and will be based in our San Diego HQ.
If you possess the following and want to make a meaningful impact, we invite you to explore this role.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Plan, design and develop web apps that interface with gRPC and GraphQL based API.
- Automate, manage and support development pipelines for building web applications and electron based Ubuntu Snaps.
- Deploy and debug electron and react based web applications.
- Collaborate on-site and remotely in a small, growing team of fast paced solution-oriented software engineers from various specialties.
- Build and design systems that are fault tolerant, highly available, scalable and observable.
- Take ownership of the entire system ensuring quality with complete automation testing.
- Educate teams on the implementation of software initiatives, and provide associated training and documentation as required.
- Employ exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to see and solve issues before they snowball into problems.
- Use your extensive knowledge of APIs to design services, and integrate them with existing data providers in polyglot protocols and
- Stay current with industry trends, making recommendations as needed to help the company excel.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in a major linux distribution; ideally Ubuntu.
- Knowledge of gRPC and or GraphQL.
- Strong awareness of networking and internet protocols, including TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP and distributed networks.
- Extensive experience with open-source technology, software development and system engineering.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, and the ability to stay focused on completing tasks and meeting goals within a busy workspace.
- Skilled at working in tandem with a team of remote engineers, or alone, as required.
- San Diego
- Full Time, Exempt
Base Compensation Pay Range:
- $145,000 - $190,000