Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end-user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for an energetic self-starter who is passionate about Environment Health and Safety to ensure the safety of our associates, protection of the physical assets, and ensuring compliance with policies and regulations. We need an individual who enjoys implementing new programs, developing a culture of safety and thrives in a fast-paced highly collaborative environment.
Our Manager, Environment, Health, and Safety is responsible for ensuring a safe and productive environment across multiple sites and disciplines. This role will be integral in developing and implementing a best-in-class EHS program that promotes a high engagement culture of safety among all our associates.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for EHS-related programs across all company functions including R&D, Manufacturing, Operations, Administration and Logistics
- Manage all facility EHS programs including ERT, Safety Representatives, Hazard Communication, Occupational Safety, Laser Safety, Radiation Safety, and Industrial Hygiene
- Conduct regular EHS assessments, inspections, and safety checks, follow up on actions items and drive resolution and continuous improvement initiatives
- Investigate all accidents and injuries, identify root cause, and ensure proper medical attention or corrective action is taken. Maintain accurate records and file appropriate documents when necessary.
- Partner with consultants and subject matter experts on EHS programs to ensure all aspects of safety are incorporated and in compliance with local and industry standards
- Work closely with Facilities, Lab Operations, and Human Resources to implement EHS policies, execute trainings and drills, and maintain training and certification records
- Perform job and risk assessments as needed in office and lab environments to address ergonomics, employee exposure and other compliance concerns
- Lead Element’s Safety Committee and participate in a cross functional team dedicated to Emergency Response and Preparedness across all sites
- Serve as Laser Safety Officer (LSO)
- Responsible for chemical inventory including storage and handling requirements and leads waste management program, third party vendor contracts, and record keeping
- Manage regulatory agency permits, submissions, inspections, and reporting in accordance with local, state, and federal regulation requirements (CERS, HMBP, Industrial Discharge, EPA, FPB-500, etc.)
- Promote a culture of safety and engage associates to drive continuous improvement in EHS programs
- Travel may be required up to 20%
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrates understanding of federal and state safety and environmental laws including OSHA, EPA, DOT, and Workers Compensation
- Strong working knowledge of EHS regulatory requirements for lab operations including laser safety
- Ability to assess various emergency scenarios, identify and evaluate workplace hazards, and take appropriate action
- Experience and inclination to build a proactive safety culture utilizing creativity and customer service to educate associates and build partnerships across multiple disciplines and sites
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation) with the ability to present to and interact with all levels within the organization
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a BS in business, science, or engineering discipline with 7+ years of work experience in a related EHS role that included compliance inspections, management of hazardous/biohazardous materials, and laser safety in life sciences, biotechnology, pharmaceutical or diagnostic manufacturing (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)
- Professional safety certifications preferred (ASP, CSP, CIH, LSO, etc.)
- Experience in high-growth start-up companies is a plus