Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Element is actively looking for an experienced UX/UI Designer to join the Software Product Design team. The Software Product Design team’s goal is to define, guide, and verify seamless end-user experiences. This person is a strong self-starter with the confidence and discipline to help design a complete sequencing solution with the necessary software interfaces to the chemistry, hardware, manufacturing, and downstream analysis systems. This person will be responsible for working with stakeholders across the organization to provide the best designs and user experience possible.
- Contribute to Element’s software component library, look and feel, and user experience across instrumentation and web applications
- Effectively incorporate user interaction with physical components (e.g. loading consumables) into instrument UI design
- Architect system-wide design solutions that satisfy both product and engineering requirements
- Work with instrument, cloud and bioinformatic software teams to ensure user interfaces effectively communicate technical information
- Work with internal and external customers to analyze the needs and align design roadmap to strategic goals
- Align design with accessibility standards (e.g. a11y, WCAG, 508) and take into account human-factor elements of design for life-sciences software
- Build and maintain a strong working knowledge of end-user use cases, deeply understanding the varying needs for different personas in the next generation sequencing space
- Work regularly with stakeholders throughout the company and end-users with rapid prototyping cycles to generate delightful, seamless user experiences
- Take key initiatives, find paths forward, track progress, and deliver key feature sets for customers with little oversight
- Work as part of a team to design, implement, integrate, and test the software that enables the development and use of Element’s sequencing instrumentation
- Experience with NGS, DNA sequencing, Medical Instrumentation Design, Informatics or Biocomputing platforms desired. (preferred)
- Experience with cloud SaaS, data analysis, and instrumentation software development teams
- Expert user of Sketch or Figma, Invision, Zepplin, and other design applications to rapidly produce high-fidelity prototypes
- Experience designing for React applications, with working knowledge of Material-UI
- Experience designing for touch screen applications, responsive web applications, and medical or life science devices
- Strong self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and good at organizing a development team around a vision or feature set
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and strategic skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Be able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experience in participating in cross-organizational or inter-company collaboration
- UX minded when designing UI interactions
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.