We’re looking for an experienced in-house attorney passionate about saving the planet and social justice! Is it you?
About Elemental Excelerator
Elemental Excelerator is on a mission to redesign the systems at the root of climate change. In 2009, we launched a new non-profit model for funding climate tech deployment. Breaking down barriers to innovation alongside entrepreneurs provides us outstanding insight into the policy, market, and technology innovation needed to build systems to uplift people and communities around the world. Elemental has invested in over 100 growth-stage companies and celebrated more than a dozen exits, funded more than 70 technology projects, and built a platform for scaling equitable, market-driven solutions to climate change.
At Elemental, we blend a growth mindset with the diverse backgrounds and roots of our team, cultivating a dynamic culture where everyone’s contributions are valued and encouraged. The Elemental culture is fast-paced, joyful, and results-oriented, offering opportunities to learn, grow, and give to a high-performing team. Our in-house attorney is able to effectively navigate a sophisticated organization involving diverse audiences with compassion, including under time-sensitive situations.
The key responsibility for this role will be to further develop, test, and iterate on Elemental’s legal, compliance, and risk management processes so that Elemental Excelerator can be an outstanding conduit for the companies we support in the climate, clean infrastructure, and innovation sectors. Your role will be integral to defining and building scalable infrastructure for our legal function. In addition to building out processes and addressing ongoing legal questions, Elemental’s in-house counsel will be responsible for an expansive contracting scope: drafting, execution, and ongoing project management of contracts with portfolio companies, vendors, contractors and other parties. The In-House Counsel will report to our Chief Operating Officer and work closely with the Managing Director, Finance, as well as many others across the Elemental team. This is an exciting opportunity to make a big impact at an influential and growing organization!
Crucial Functions & Responsibilities
- Draft, review, negotiate and project manage expansive contract scope, including Portfolio company agreements
- Lead and conduct portfolio company equity negotiations
- Convertible Notes
- Donation Agreements
- Handle legal aspects of portfolio company transactions as they arise and impact Elemental’s equity positions
- Lead Legal Functions
- Liaise with Insurance Broker and Insurance Compliance
- Manage Business Compliance (California, Delaware, Hawaiʻi and other states and municipalities as needed)
- Lead Non-Profit Compliance (California, Hawaiʻi and other states as needed)
- Provide Legal advice on legal and regulatory issues
- Conduct legal research on other issues, as they arise
- Manage Legal Intern(s)
- Collaborate closely with and manage Outside Counsel
Human Resources Services
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures
- Employee Handbook, etc.
- Handles Employee Acknowledgments
- Annual Conflict of Interest
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Employee Handbook Acknowledgment
- Whistleblower Acknowledgment
- Provide support on draft agreements and other legal questions that pertain to employment
- Weekly in-office attendance is required for the position (once covid return-to-office plan is implemented).
- Light travel will be required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EXPERTISE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Solid understanding of:
- Overall broad legal knowledge;
- Corporate and securities, venture capital experience preferred;
- Corporate governance, non-profit experience preferred;
- Risk and dispute management;
- Compliance; and
- Labor and employment laws.
- Must have shown success and experience in the following areas:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and detailed
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Team-oriented mentality
- Able and excited to work in fast-paced teams
- Inventive with research and ability to find information needed to be effective
- Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive company information
- Creative in solving problems
- Receptive to feedback and highly coachable
- Eager to learn and take on new challenges
- Managing up and working with all level roles within the org on legal consultation and advisory as appropriate
- Training teams on legal and risk management compliance matters in partnership with People Ops
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Must have a law degree from a university
- Must be admitted to a recognized bar, preferably Hawaii or California
- Must have 4+ years of experience gained in law firm and/or in-house with major firm
We will consider candidates located in Hawaiʻi or California, and when in-person work resumes be able to travel to our HQs located in Honolulu, Hawaiʻi and East Palo Alto, California at least one day each week.
Competitive pay will be offered commensurate with qualifications. Please submit a resume and cover letter online at https://elementalexcelerator.com/jobs/. Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
We will accept and review applications until Friday, October 8th 2021