About Elemental Excelerator
Elemental Excelerator is on a mission to redesign the systems at the root of climate change. In 2009, the non-profit launched a new model for funding climate tech deployment. Breaking down barriers to innovation alongside entrepreneurs provides Elemental unique insight into the policy, market, and technology innovation needed to build systems to uplift people and communities around the world. Elemental has invested in over 100 growth-stage companies and celebrated more than a dozen exits, funded more than 70 technology projects, and built a platform for scaling equitable, market-driven solutions to climate change.
At Elemental, we blend a growth mindset with the diverse backgrounds and roots of our team, cultivating a dynamic culture where everyone’s contributions are valued and encouraged.
Help Us Scale our Impact!
Elemental is seeking a passionate self-starter to join its Partnerships team as Head of Philanthropic Partnerships. In this role, you will design and implement Elemental’s fundraising strategy with the goal of raising the vital capital for Elemental to achieve its long-term vision. In addition to setting strategy, you will identify, nurture, and manage a pipeline of high-net-worth individuals, Foundation, and Government grants initially valued at $3M-$5M annually. This is a new and evolving team within the organization that will ultimately be expected to raise $10M+ towards Elemental’s annual budget as we rapidly scale our impact.
This position will report to the Chief of Staff and manage the Director of Philanthropic Partnerships. The role will also be tasked with determining additional resources and staff needed to build and maintain a strong fundraising function!
Key responsibilities include:
Overall Development Strategy and Pipeline Management
- Build and implement an effective fundraising plan that addresses the medium-term needs of Elemental Excelerator based on the new 5-Year Strategic Plan
- Expand an existing portfolio of foundations, high net worth individuals, corporations, and government in order to increase revenue from philanthropic funders
- Manage the development of donor materials and pitch decks that reflect the ongoing philanthropic investment opportunities at Elemental
- Track trends and new opportunities to ensure that the case for support expresses Elemental’s unique value proposition and takes into account donor interests and trends
Project Management of Institutional Donors:
- Manage and support Elemental team in all activities related to the institutional donor portfolio fundraising efforts, including writing and submitting proposals, reports, and other deliverables in a timely manner
- Collaborate and coordinate cross-functionally on communications, proposals, and other efforts
- Work directly with the CEO and Chief of Staff on key strategic fundraising initiatives, ensuring alignment with the current and future needs of the organization
- Lead the newly crafted Development Team and define ongoing resource needs for the team including new systems, contractors, and full-time hires
- Advise Senior Management on progress towards goals and any roadblocks
- Collaborate effectively across the Elemental team to ensure there is cross-functional alignment with the fundraising strategy
Board Relationships and Interfacing:
- Activate the existing board, working closely with board members and advisors to help drive their fundraising activities
- Lead development of new board initiatives to increase fundraising engagement, and onboard new board members to increase capacity
- Report out to the full board on fundraising strategy and overall progress at Board meetings.
- Experience managing and leading a team of collaborators to achieve strong fundraising results with a consistent track record of raising 6- and 7-figure gifts from Institutional donors
- Passion for Elemental’s mission of accelerating equitable solutions to climate change
- Strong management skills; adept at meeting deadlines and consistently following through to completion of projects
- Demonstrated skill to create and deliver compelling formal and informal communications about our organization, mission, and goals
- Willingness to travel approximately 2-3 times per quarter
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic team, with a team-first attitude and willingness to contribute to Elemental’s mission beyond your core role
- 10+ years of work experience in fundraising or business development
- Experience effectively leading the fundraising function for a fast-paced, mission-focused, and highly dynamic organization
- Experience in a climate, sustainability, and/or environmental justice related field
- Experience in the early-stage innovation space, with startups, or related ecosystem
- A strong background of fundraising success, exceptional writing skills, organizational leadership experience, and the ability to communicate Elemental Excelerator’s vision and impact to a diverse group of constituents.
We will consider candidates located anywhere in the U.S., however you will be expected to be available during working hours in one of our HQ locations, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi or East Palo Alto, California, and when in-person work resumes be able to travel to our HQs (e.g., quarterly).
Compensation & Benefits
Elemental Excelerator offers a competitive salary based on the organization’s compensation philosophy, which is grounded in market data. We also offer comprehensive health & welfare benefits and top of the market paid time off. This is a full-time "at-will" position working 40 hours per week.
Elemental Excelerator is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume and cover letter online at https://elementalexcelerator.com/jobs/
We will accept and review applications on a rolling basis. Although all applications will be considered, we may be unable to respond to all inquiries.