At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting these applications. Elasticsearch is an efficient datastore for logs, metrics, and application traces, supporting the three pillars of observability. The Observability team builds and maintains solutions that make getting insights from this data turnkey and efficient, such as our APM, Infrastructure Monitoring, and Logs solutions. When developing these solutions, we think about the problem end-to-end: how do we automatically collect data from common data sources, how do we store it efficiently in Elasticsearch, how do we present this information to the user, what actions do we take on the insights from the data? All of these aspects are important in bringing a turnkey solution to the market.
The Beats platform is the basis for building open source shippers that collect all kinds of operational data, store it in Elasticsearch, and visualize it with Kibana. They collect data from edge servers, and are used to power application monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, and network monitoring. We currently have five official Beats: Filebeat for gathering logs, Packetbeat for network traffic, Metricbeat for metrics, Winlogbeat for Windows event logs, Heartbeat for uptime monitoring, and Auditbeat for audit data. In addition, the open-source community has created over 40 Beats, collecting data from all sorts of sources.
All current Beats are written in Go
Beats provides modern features for containers monitoring: from Kubernetes logs retrieval to automatic services discovery. We are looking for someone to help us keep improving them and bring new features to our users, as part of our infrastructure monitoring effort.
The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates on daily basis over Github, Zoom, and Slack.
What you would be working on:
- Write open source Golang code within the infrastructure monitoring solution.
- Design and build new features for infrastructure and services observability. Dive into new technologies and figure out how to best monitor them.
- Work with our support team to help customers.
- Interact with the community, understand their needs and help them use our products.
- Collaborate with other development teams, quality engineering team and documentation team to execute on product deliverables.
- Spread the word, write blog posts about features you worked on, speak at conferences, if you are willing to.
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related engineering discipline and 3+ years of industry experience.
- Experience creating system level software on Unix. Experience in Golang programming is a big plus, but not strictly required. Our team can teach you and get you up to speed.
- Hands-on experience with Docker and Kubernetes. Experience monitoring or operating a cluster is a plus.
- Operational experience with monitoring systems would be very welcome.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a great teammate with strong analytical, problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work in a distributed team throughout the world.
- Knowledge and experience in Elasticsearch, Logstash, Distributed Systems is a plus.
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
- Distributed-first company with employees in over 30 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages! Some even fly south for the winter :)
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
Target Locations: Toronto, Canada; Vancouver, Canada; Calgary, Canada; Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Dallas, TX; Baltimore, MD; Boston, MA; Boulder, CO; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Houston, TX; Los Angeles, CA; Miami, FL; Minneapolis, MN; Nashville, TN; New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; Phoenix, AZ; Portland, OR; Raleigh, NC; Richmond, VA; Sacramento, CA; San Diego, CA; Seattle, WA; Copenhagen, Denmark; Nice, France; Paris, France; Lisbon, Portugal; Dublin, Ireland; Berlin, Germany; Dusseldorf, Germany; Frankfurt, Germany; Hamburg, Germany; Warsaw, Poland; Krakow, Poland; Munich, Germany; Vienna, Austria; Tel Aviv, Israel; Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Oslo, Norway; Barcelona, Spain; Madrid, Spain; Stockholm, Sweden; Zurich, Switzerland; Edinburgh, United Kingdom; Glasgow, United Kingdom; London, United Kingdom; Manchester, United Kingdom; Washington, DC; Belfast, United Kingdom; Detroit, MI; Pittsburgh, PA; Louisville, KY; Indianapolis, IN; Cleveland, OH; Eindhoven, NL;
Please note that we are happy to consider applications from other locations too.