At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
The Finance team is seeking a Revenue Manager who would be excited to join a small revenue team in a fast-growing technology company. This role will report to our Director of Revenue.
What You Will Be Doing:
Together, we will directly support the Elastic financial reporting function in the Revenue area. As a core team member, you will contribute with the operational and technical accounting aspects of Elastic's revenue streams, which include Software Subscriptions, SaaS, consulting, and training revenues.
With direction from the Director of Revenue and others, you will provide leadership in the Revenue area of the Company’s financial reporting function. You will assist in the design of revenue accounting policies, processes, guide deal desk by alerting them of deal structures and deal terms that inhibit revenue recognition, and will ensure our reporting of revenue is accurate. Your role will be as a reviewer.
Your financial reporting responsibilities will include accounting for deals sold under ASC 606 and IFRS 15. You will have significant responsibility in training and managing new hires as the Revenue team continues to grow.
In the day-to-day, you can expect:
- Lead the revenue cycle including review of contracts to determine appropriate revenue recognition in accordance with current and emerging accounting pronouncements
- Own the monthly revenue close process, which includes review of transaction processing, preparation of journal entries and account reconciliations and analyses of revenue and deferred revenue
- Establish strong working relationships with key contacts in other departments including Sales, Product Management, Sales Operations, Legal and IT
- Proactively research technical revenue issues and respond to revenue questions related to new or non-standard contract terms, product/service offerings and marketing programs and document conclusions via technical revenue accounting memos
- Assist with development of new models and reports to support revenue forecasting function
- Propose improvements to processes and internal controls
- Be responsible for the annual audit and quarterly review deliverables with external auditors, the accounting team, and executive management
What You Bring Along:
You have an active CPA and prior experience in software revenue accounting (US GAAP, ASC 606, IFRS - 15; mandatories).
You've worked with revenue automation software before (mandatory)and maybe you've even been a part of implementing a system (desired).
You've grown a team in the past (mandatory) and, although this role doesn't have direct reports initially, you're excited by the role you'll play in growing the revenue team and building your own team over time.
In addition, you have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 6+ years total Big-4 and industry (public company preferred)
- Proficient in MS Excel. Experience with large ERP system (Netsuite preferred), Salesforce, and automated revenue recognition systems
And you consider yourself to be:
- A Problem solver: Strong, hands-on analytical problem solver with a common sense and practical solutions orientation that is grounded in solid business judgement, able to work and think both tactically and strategically
- Communicative: Takes an "open source" attitude to quality assurance. Keeps others in the company informed and up to date on his or her priorities, current tasks and work completed. Encourages constructive criticism on his or her work. Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to all levels of the company and outside auditors
- Flexible and adaptable: Able to switch gears in high-stress situations and quickly learn new technologies and adopt new methodologies
- Attentive to details: Lives by the mantra of “the devil is in the details” and will take great pride in getting it right
- Accountable: A results-oriented team player who leads by example, holds self-accountable for performance, takes absolute ownership, and champions all aspects of customer and product initiatives
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
- Distributed-first company with Elasticians in over 30 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages!
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.