At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
We're looking to add a new Product Management node to the Elastic Product cluster. At Elastic, we’re committed to continually improving how our core Elasticsearch server works. This means we have to deeply understand the types of problems that users run into in distributed server software.
These types of conversations often involve topics like how our home-grown scripting language (called “Painless”) should evolve, how our plugin framework should work to enable entirely new use cases of the software while simultaneously protecting new users, how we should version our APIs, and how we (and our users) should benchmark our distributed java-based server.
To be successful in this role, you need to be able to be comfortable speaking to developers as customers and to understand and think through API interactions for modern software stacks. You will work closely with our engineering teams to plan and prioritize key underlying server features and APIs and with product marketing, sales, and our users to evangelize them. The ultimate goal of this role is to increase the performance, utility, and safety across a huge variety of use cases of the millions of Elasticsearch installations around the world.
The ultimate goal of this role is to make search better in all languages in the millions of Elasticsearch installations around the world.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Work with customers on understanding the special needs of their use cases and bringing those insights back to engineering
- Work with our engineers that work on performance benchmarking, server architecture, and core APIs to improve everything from how a developer can extend the capabilities of Elasticsearch to how solution architects and support can arm users with relevant benchmarks and benchmarking practices
- Work with product marketing on demos showcasing our server’s features and with our sales, support, and consultants to make sure they understand the new features engineering is developing
- Track and improve KPIs around adoption and usage of Elasticsearch
What You Bring Along:
- You are an experienced Product Manager who has a high-level understanding of how developers consume APIs
- You have prior experience working on Java applications and server software
- And you're curious, collaborative, and empathetic.
In addition, you are/have:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (e.g. CS, CSE, EE) or relevant work experience writing code to some extent
- Comfort working in a highly distributed team
- Excellent spoken and written English communication skills
- Prior history working on search and/or NLP systems
- Open source software and/or commercial open source companies experience
- SQL, geo, or benchmarking experience
We're looking to hire team members invested in realizing the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Stock options
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
- Distributed-first company with Elasticians in over 30 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages!
Target locations: Any Eastern US location or Any Western European location.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.