At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We unite Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting!), 18 timezones and 30 different languages into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Do you want to work on distributed search and analytics software which impacts the lives of millions of people? We’re not interested in your previous job title. Instead, we are looking for bright people with a deep knowledge of Java and who love to take on new challenges.
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of. We feel that you should be empowered to comment on really anything, regardless of your role within the company.
Right now, we are on the lookout for a talented Java Engineer to join our Elasticsearch team and focus on the core infrastructure of Elasticsearch. You can be based (pretty much) anywhere in the world.
What you will be doing
- Evolving the core infrastructure for Elasticsearch (e.g., the networking layer)
- Understand and contribute to surrounding layers such as replication and search
- Optimizing internal data structures used within Elasticsearch
- Design and implement new horizontally-scalable features and APIs in Elasticsearch.
- Tackle difficult issues, including performance or concurrency issues, and propose solutions.
- Collaborating in the open with the ES team, Elastic Stack users, and other supporting open source projects
- Supporting our support engineers with the harder problems
What you will bring along
- Strong on Java in general, including concurrency concepts and the standard library of data structures
- Willingness to dive into new issues and ask for help when you need it
- Experience deploying and operationalizing software in production
- Strong shell skills
- Experience leading projects involving multiple engineers
- Knowledge of packaging (like RPM / Debian)
- Build system experience (e.g., Gradle)
We're looking to hire team members invested in realizing the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid in full parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.