Kibana is the window into the Elastic Stack
Kibana lets users visualize their Elasticsearch data and navigate the Elastic Stack, so they can do anything from learning why they’re getting paged at 2:00 a.m. to understanding the impact rain might have on their quarterly numbers. Kibana gives users the freedom to select the way they give shape to their data. And they don’t always have to know what they’re looking for. With its interactive visualizations, users start with one question and see where it leads them. Kibana core ships with the classics: histograms, line graphs, pie charts, sunbursts, and more. They demonstrate the full aggregation capabilities of Elasticsearch.
About The Role
You will act as a hands-on developer of the Kibana Platform team which is responsible for the architecture, tech stack, and plugin system in Kibana. This team lays the groundwork for other teams to build end-user applications and features. You will work on many key projects and initiatives partnering closely across all Elastic teams. You will be responsible for delivering the roadmap of Platform team, reinforcing the quality of work, managing the technical debt, updating the project status, and providing support for the other parts of the Kibana team.
Some of the things you'll work on
- Work on Kibana, a popular open source project, to help people around the world do great things with their data.
- Help define how developers build Kibana now and into the future
- Build tooling for managing isolated sets of npm dependencies across discrete modules
- Contribute to a localization framework that is designed to scale with any number of rendering technologies
- Write comprehensive tests, including unit tests, service-level, HTTP-level, UI component, and browser-level integration tests that provide confidence in the stability and function of Kibana
- Provide enhancements to our Continuous Integration pipeline
- Collaborate with other experienced developers both in Elastic and our open source community, including code and technical design reviews
- Deep knowledge of Node.js
- Understanding of many legacy JS frameworks and at least one modern JS framework such as Angular.js and React.js
- Experience with the release process: Source code control, package installers, build scripts, Jenkins, etc.
- Experience working with continuous Integration platforms. Jenkins experience is a plus.
- Deep understanding of the design, implementation, and consumption of REST APIs
- 7+ years of experience developing scalable, high performing services and applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, debugging and troubleshooting skills
Nice to have
- Experience with a statically typed language (e.g. TypeScript, Flow, Go, Java, etc)
- Record of inheriting existing medium-to-large scale projects
- Have worked on software that is distributed as installable artifacts (not a SaaS)
- Have worked on software with a plugin system
- Experience using or managing the Elastic Stack and Kibana
- Competitive pay, medical, dental, vision, disability, benefits
- Stock options
- You will be working together with the most talented developers using cutting edge technology
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do
- Distributed-first company with employees all over the world, speaking over 30 languages! Some even fly south for the winter :-)
We have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. Elastic is the leading software provider for making structured and unstructured data usable in real time for search, logging, security and analytics use cases. Since its initial release in 2012, Elastic's products have achieved more than 100 million cumulative downloads. Today thousands of organizations like Cisco, eBay, Dell, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, HP, Microsoft, Netflix, NY Times, Uber, Verizon, Yelp, and Wikipedia use the Elastic Stack, X-Pack, and Elastic Cloud to power critical systems that drive new revenue opportunities and massive cost savings. Elastic is backed by $104 million in funding from Benchmark Capital, Index Ventures, and NEA; has headquarters in Amsterdam and Mountain View, California; and has employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on truly anything, regardless of his or her role within the company.
Target locations: Toronto, Canada; Vancouver, Canada; Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Baltimore, MD; Boston, MA; Boulder, CO; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Houston, TX; Los Angeles, CA; Miami, FL; Minneapolis, MN; Nashville, TN; New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; Phoenix, AZ; Portland, OR; Raleigh, NC; Richmond, VA; Sacramento, CA; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; San Jose, CA; Seattle, WA; Copenhagen, Denmark; Nice, France; Paris, France; Lisbon, Portugal; Dublin, Ireland; Berlin, Germany; Dusseldorf, Germany; Frankfurt, Germany; Hamburg, Germany; Warsaw, Poland; Krakow, Poland; Munich, Germany; Tel Aviv, Israel; Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Oslo, Norway; Barcelona, Spain; Madrid, Spain; Stockholm, Sweden; Zurich, Switzerland; Edinburgh, United Kingdom; Glasgow, United Kingdom; London, United Kingdom; Manchester, United Kingdom; Washington, DC; Belfast, United Kingdom; Detroit, MI; Pittsburgh, PA; Louisville, KY; Indianapolis, IN; Cleveland, OH; Eindhoven, NL;
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.