At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We unite Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting!), 18 timezones and 30 different languages into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
We're looking for a Java Engineer to join the Elasticsearch team, focusing on work on Geospatial work in Lucene and Elasticsearch. Our team builds Elasticsearch, the heart of the Elastic Stack.
Engineering a distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a challenge. It requires software development skills and the ability to think like a user. We care deeply about giving you ownership of what you’re working on. Our company believes we achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of; we feel that you should be empowered to comment on anything, regardless of your role within the company.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Design and implement new, fast, horizontally-scalable features and APIs in Elasticsearch, integrating and exposing new features from Apache Lucene. You'll propose technical approaches, discuss, and will have ownership of the features you work on.
- Investigate and implement optimizations for geo spatial indexing and search data structures.
- Integrate new geospatial features in Elasticsearch from Lucene.
- Implement new geospatial aggregations and data analysis techniques (e.g., faceting, clustering, hot spot analysis).
- Improve existing geospatial APIs including new intercommunication formats.
- Work closely with cross product teams to expand geospatial offerings at all levels of the Elastic stack
- Working with the community on bugs and performance issues and assisting out support engineers with tougher customer issues.
What You Bring Along:
- You are comfortable coding in Java, conversant in the standard library of data structures and concurrency constructs, as well as newer features like lambdas.
- Experience implementing geospatial data structures (e.g., spatial trees, tries, encoding).
- Firm understanding of geospatial coordinate systems, map projections, and datum transformations.
- You have experience with Elasticsearch or another search technology, and understand basics of indexing and querying documents
- Familiar with or have contributed to other open source geospatial projects.
- Experience with geospatial visualization techniques, cartography, and/or thematic mapping.
- Familiar with exploratory spatial data analysis and spatial statistics techniques.
- You've worked on open source projects before and are familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
- You've built things with elasticsearch before, and understand how distributed systems operate and the limitations and advantages.
We're looking to hire team members invested in realizing the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid in full parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.