Eight Sleep is the first sleep fitness company. At Eight Sleep we design products at the forefront of sleep innovation. Our mission is to make people’s sleep count for more, using innovative technology, detailed design, and proven science and data to personalize and improve each night for everybody—changing the way people sleep forever and for better.
We've just launched our temperature-regulated smart bed, the Pod. It's an absolute game changer, improving people's health and happiness by changing the way they sleep. Early feedback is great, but we still have a long way to go toward achieving our mission. Backed by leading Silicon Valley investors including Valor Equity Partners ,Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures and Y Combinator, we’ve raised over $150 million (Series C) to date. We were recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Consumer Electronics in 2018.
That's why Eight Sleep is looking for a talented Staff Mechanical Engineer to set a high bar for the development of our next generation of sleep enhancing products.
How you’ll contribute
- Architect and complete detailed design of electromechanical systems and plastic and metal components of consumer electronics products.
- Work with Electrical Engineering, Design, Manufacturing and Product team members to conceptualize, define, design, build, and test new products.
- Perform thermal, fluid and structural analysis of individual components and sub systems to achieve performance goals and drive system architecture.
- Perform design validation, verification, and characterization for first prototypes, sub-assemblies, and the final product.
- Perform tolerance analyses to verify performance of mechanisms and cosmetic specifications in the presence of high volume dimensional variation.
- Work with vendors and manufacturing teams to solve quality, cost, and yield issues, from early design stages to mass production.
- Define testing requirements, fixtures, and equipment to validate the mechanical design of components and assemblies for mass production.
- Work with vendors and manufacturing teams to develop new manufacturing processes, develop tooling, and design assembly fixtures.
What you need to succeed
- 8+ years of consumer product design experience with knowledge of injection molding, sheet metal forming, soft goods, and electromechanical systems (pumps, heat sinks, fans, valves, seals).
- Track records of shipping consumer products
- Has demonstrated experience with 3D CAD Modeling and Simulation Tools for Thermal, Structural and Fluid Analysis (eg. Solidworks, ProEngineer, etc.).
- Experience in high-volume manufacturing processes, design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing.
- Possesses a solid understanding of root cause analysis, DOE, GD&T, and other quality measuring techniques.
- Experience working on-site and remotely with vendors in Asia.
- BSME or equivalent. MS preferred.
Why you’ll love Eight
- We’re a tight-knit, passionate team that’s working to improve people’s lives by improving the way they sleep
- Leadership that is committed to employees’ wellness and career development
- You’ll get a better night sleep every night; all full-time employees receive the Pod
- Flexible, generous PTO
- Employer contribution for medical/dental/vision insurance
- A flexible working arrangement focused on the health of our team. While most employees work remotely, we have a lab for hardware collaboration that is managed with rigorous safety protocols to maintain a COVID-safe environment
At Eight Sleep we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our values by ensuring everyone feels they can flourish and grow. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status