*We accept applications from remote employees in the following US states: CO, CT, ME, NH, NJ, NY and VT.
Data Engineering has built a best in class data platform leveraging tools such as snowflake, dbt_ and prefect. Now that the foundations have been laid the team is beginning to look toward what is next; and evolving our foundation to climb to the next rung of the analytics maturity model.
edX is looking to add a Data Engineer to set their vision on that next rung and to help us climb.
Your work will enable the Data group to evolve, automate and scale and impact edXers across the company as we keep the data flowing and enable edX to continue to mature as a data-driven organization - and achieve our potential to transform education for learners globally.
The Data Engineering (DE) team’s work lies at the foundation of all that edX does. The accurate, timely and usable data that DE provides to the organization drives business reporting and decision-making, product innovation, customer-facing data offerings and more.
Data Engineering works alongside data analysts and scientists, product engineering, and business stakeholders across the organization to provide the data platform and technical solutions that enable edX to drive value from its data. If you are looking to make an outsized impact on an organization, Data Engineering at edX is the place for you.
- Maintain and help improve Data Engineering’s best in class infrastructure
- Be relentless in your distaste for toil; automating and removing processes and systems that are no longer serving their purpose
- Build automation and tooling to help data move fast, we strive for idempotent, reproducible systems and results
- Be data driven in your work, instrumenting the tools Data Engineering builds and tuning system performance
- Rapidly diagnose and resolve faults with data services and pipelines as a member of an on-call rotation - ensuring the data flows throughout our ecosystem smoothly
- Collaborate with peers in and out of the Data team to troubleshoot and propose and document solutions
- Proactively communicate issues, status or roadblocks
- Help optimize alerting, data processes and on-call rotations to reduce fatigue and improve efficiency of our operations
- Experience in a dev-ops or site reliability engineering role or
- Experience building efficient data pipelines, performance tuning, and integrating disparate data sources and types, including high volume semi-structured and unstructured data (e.g., JSON, etc.)
- Understanding of cloud-based data warehousing and ELT/ETL techniques and processes
- Experience working in AWS systems
- Experience working in Python
- Collaborative and pragmatic, with and enthusiasm for learning and continuous improvement
- Experience with Snowflake and dbt_ (https://www.getdbt.com/)
- Experience with pipeline data pipeline tools such as Prefect, Luigi or Airflow
- Experience with or a desire to learn about Terraform and Kubernetes.
- Experience master data management, data modeling and preparing data for analysis
- Enthusiasm for Agile/Scrum processes
Why you’ll like it here:
- edX is collaborative at its core. You’ll work within your team and across the organization, allowing for continuous learning and discovery.
- We’re on a mission to unlock our learners potential on a global level, seeking to create a more diverse, equitable and inclusive world.
- We set outcomes that matter and provide value in all that we do, from building meaningful products to serving the edX community.
We understand that applying for a job can be intimidating. Applicants rarely meet every single job requirement, and we know there are many skills and backgrounds that will contribute to success in this role.
That’s why we provide new employees with:
- Employee onboarding and training sessions
- Personalized 30/60/90+ day plans
- Individual quarterly and annual goals
- Career pathways
And much more to support you in your personal journey at edX! That said, if this role looks like a great next step for you, please apply… even if you can’t “check every box.” We’d love to hear from you! edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, we’ve brought together more than 38 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And we’re not stopping there—as a global nonprofit, we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.