As a Product Manager, you will examine market conditions, the competitive and technology landscape, and customer input to evaluate and prioritize product opportunities. In this role, you will develop and execute a product roadmap to support and grow both our established offerings as well as new product lines. You’ll regularly engage with customers, business stakeholders, and engineering teams to identify, synthesize, and clearly communicate product requirements that create an outstanding experience and achieve desired outcomes for our Learners and Educators. You will join the team responsible for edX’s core teaching & learning platform and work closely with members of the open source community including developers, project managers, and partners, to gain value from the contributions initiated outside of edX.
The Platform theme is focused on ensuring the Open edX platform can deliver business outcomes for edX business lines while also providing an extensible and contributable platform for the broader Open edX ecosystem. Considering internal edX platform needs involves understanding the roadmap and opportunities across all other edX product delivery groups, a broad understanding of the platform’s capabilities, and an active understanding of how the Open edX ecosystem can contribute to shared goals for the platform.
- Define strategy, target outcomes, and product priorities informed by customer and business needs.
- Create comprehensive roadmaps in support of delivering critical outcomes.
- Regularly measure and communicate impact; adjusting course as needed.
- Interact directly with learners, educators, other product managers, and organizational stakeholders to understand emerging product needs and capture these in the form of product memos, demos, and executive presentations.
- Define the engineering backlog, technical requirements, and product features that will achieve desired outcomes.
- Define MVP and success measurements, examine tradeoffs, and manage risks.
- Represent your team and work with edX leadership, the company, the open source community and other external stakeholders.
- A strong, core agile product management toolkit (creating user stories, roadmap development, prioritization, and other artifacts related to Agile) and have leveraged it to deliver meaningful digital products that impact the business.
- Deep curiosity for learning new things - you will be expected to develop a deep understanding of all key components of the edX platform.
- An understanding of how to work iteratively - delivering incremental value to your customers while understanding tradeoffs.
- The ability to speak both technical and non-technical languages to bridge engineering with other parts of the organization to facilitate problem solving
- Excellent cross-group communication and collaboration skills, including conflict resolution, presentation and negotiation skills.
- A data-driven mindset, using data to inform your decision-making and proactively update processes.
- Comfort with defining metrics and leveraging data insights to find new opportunities.
- Experience in vendor management, or collaborating with partners outside of your organization to achieve business outcomes.
- At least 3 years of experience in product management.
- Experience in the teaching & learning or education space
- Experience operating and thriving in a matrixed, results focused, fast-paced environment.
- Strong understanding of technical concepts, especially in web and database technologies.
We understand that applying for a job can be intimidating. Applicants rarely meet every single job requirement, and we know there are many skills and backgrounds that will contribute to success in this role.
That’s why we provide new employees with:
- Employee on-boarding and training sessions
- Personalized 30/60/90+ day plans
- Individual quarterly and annual goals
- Career pathways
And much more to support you in your personal journey at edX! That said, if this role looks like a great next step for you, please apply… even if you can’t “check every box.” We’d love to hear from you!
edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, we’ve brought together over 30 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And we’re not stopping there—as a global nonprofit, we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.