This is a dynamic full stack engineering role on our Engage Squad, where you will participate in every aspect of the feature development lifecycle. Working alongside high-performing teammates, you’ll help develop new features that enhance the experience of our millions of users learning on the edX platform. (Did we mention that -- today -- we have more than 30 million unique learners from every country?)
On a daily basis, you’ll plan, design, code, test, and release innovative features in an Agile, team-based environment. This position will report into an edX Manager, Engineering.
The Engage Squad digs deep to understand how learners use the edX platform and how we can help them be successful. Working closely with Product, UX, and Data Science teams, this group leverages both industry research and empirical learnings from our own A/B testing to identify feature areas that can help learners engage with course content as effectively as possible. The team comprises four developers and a Manager, Engineering, all of whom love what they do! Average team member tenure is three years.
Headquartered in the heart of Cambridge’s Technology Square, we’re currently fully remote. Still, we’re flourishing as a distributed workforce, thanks to our collective capacity to adjust.
- Design, develop, deploy, and support scalable software systems
- Collaborate with Product Management, UX, and Data Science to understand customer problems and identify solutions
- Participate in daily scrum standups and successfully operate within an Agile framework
- Partner with Product and UX on ticket grooming sessions
- Diagnose and fix bugs
- Deliver work in-progress demos at UX Review and Sharing Time sessions
- Code review your peers’ work
- Promote teamwork and support a vibrant innovative work atmosphere
- 2+ years for full stack development experience
- Experience in a swiftly moving, collaborative work environment and a capacity to relentlessly adjust as necessary
- Empathy for the users of the software you build
- An inquisitive mind and a restless desire to learn
- Experience with Django/Python
- Experience with (or interest in) infrastructure of software systems (DevOps / SRE work)
- Development of and usage of REST APIs
- Ability to problem solve and drive projects with loosely defined requirements
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Zeal for what we’re building here. Do you love ed tech and its impact on society?
We understand that applying for a job can be intimidating. Applicants rarely meet every single job requirement, and we know there are many skills and backgrounds that will contribute to success in this role.
That’s why we provide new employees with:
- Employee onboarding and training sessions
- Personalized 30/60/90+ day plans
- Individual quarterly and annual goals
- Career pathways
And much more to support you in your personal journey at edX! That said, if this role looks like a great next step for you, please apply… even if you can’t “check every box.” We’d love to hear from you.
edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, we’ve brought together over 30 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And we’re not stopping there—as a global nonprofit, we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.
Sorry, Visa sponsorship is not available.