You will lead a team focused on launching critical Teaching + Learning features and advancing the core edX platform architecture. Your impact will run deep! The Teaching + Learning capabilities represent the foundational framework upon which our educators build quality content and through which our learners consume it. This high-profile position will report into edX’s Chief Architect.
The Teaching + Learning team sits at the heart of the edX platform. Every day, it tackles complex challenges and advances our core architecture to support next-generation teaching and learning innovations. In this role, you’ll manage 4+ senior developers to influence and improve the platform, while positively impacting millions of lives. (Did we mention that -- today -- we have more than 30 million unique learners from every country?)
Headquartered in the heart of Cambridge’s Technology Square, we’re currently fully remote. Still, we’re flourishing as a distributed workforce, thanks to our collective capacity to adjust.
- Lead, coach, and mentor a high-performing team of 4+ senior engineers
- Ensure all team members collaborate and successfully operate within an Agile framework
- Develop sustainable strategies to maintain the core platform, while balancing team members’ workflows and their own opportunities to mentor and train more junior engineers
- Partner cross-functionally to understand customer needs; identify, define, and scope solutions; and achieve organizational goals
- Enthusiastically engage with the Open edX community; build robust ties and facilitate flywheel-energizing movements in the ecosystem
- Interface with external developers and technically manage and oversee contracts (blended projects) with Open edX providers
- Practice and promote a “you build it, you run it” philosophy to software development and delivery
- With a systems mindset, identify opportunities to accelerate delivery and implement solutions that span people, processes, and technology
- As time permits, make valuable individual contributions to the platform via writing, reviewing, and documenting software designs and code
- 2+ years managing a software engineering team
- 10+ years total as a software developer
- Demonstrated experience with Agile methods and practices
- A systems mindset for tackling complex problems
- A restless desire to learn
- Zeal for what we’re building here. Do you love ed tech and its impact on society?
- An open mind about open source! As part of our model, we share our code openly with like-minded educational missions worldwide.
We understand that applying for a job can be intimidating. Applicants rarely meet every single job requirement, and we know there are many skills and backgrounds that will contribute to success in this role.
That’s why we provide new employees with:
- Employee onboarding and training sessions
- Personalized 30/60/90+ day plans
- Individual quarterly and annual goals
- Career pathways
And much more to support you in your personal journey at edX! That said, if this role looks like a great next step for you, please apply… even if you can’t “check every box.” We’d love to hear from you.
edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, we’ve brought together over 30 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And we’re not stopping there—as a global nonprofit, we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.
Sorry, Visa sponsorship is not available.