Check out a video with a Sr. UX Designer on the Experience team here.
Lead UX Designer
edX, a Cambridge-based non-profit, is dedicated to increasing access to high-quality online education to everyone, everywhere. It’s a big job - think internationalization, accessibility, and usability - and we’re looking for someone interested in the challenge of building great experiences at scale.
The culture at edX is casual and collaborative. UX team members are embedded into larger, cross-functional teams with product and engineering. Our Agile workflow and embedded structure allows us to influence and shape decisions about what to create for learners. We do our own research with learners.
- Have at least 10 years professional experience in the software/design/digital world
- Recent experience in UX roles ~ 5+ years
- Deep expertise in delivering UX for Product Development in an Agile environment
- Proactively prioritize, manage, and identify opportunities for value-added work through formal and informal channels
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with demonstrated interpersonal capabilities to effectively build and foster collaborative relationships with people at all levels of the organization
- Create partnerships with Product management and other stakeholders to craft customer-centric strategies that balance business and user needs in a practical and effective way
- Apply analytical thinking to drive the business value of design in all work
- Walkthrough your thinking and processes to show us your work with excellent communication skills
- Influence, model, and scale ways of working beyond the local UX team to evangelize and push customer-centric design into the larger organization
- Thrive in ambiguity; lead problem-solving within complex systems with ease
- Experience with designing for and influencing the implementation of design systems and pattern libraries
- Demonstrate deep expertise in foundational UX methods such as research, prototyping, design thinking, information architecture, or UX-related discipline
- Lead teams, direct work, coach, mentor, and train junior teammates
As an edXer, you:
- Clearly articulate your design choices and ground them in usability heuristics, WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines, and user research
- Establish governance and drive adoption of UX best practices to ensure consistency across applications
- Successfully engage and manage work within multiple initiatives while operating independently or within a team
- Experiment regularly - find data, make research plans, make prototypes (of all levels of fidelity and interactivity), run studies, analyze results, and take action
- Understand established interactive technologies and possess an undying thirst to learn about new ones
- Drive large-scale efforts to enhance the overall experience
- Define and work within visual themes based on your expert understanding of grids, typography, color, and design principles
- Document your thinking using thoughtfully chosen and informed deliverables and artifacts like: sketches, wireframes, prototypes, site maps/flows, personas, and design comps
- Are embedded with a cross-functional team and collaborate with peers in product and engineering
- Use a variety of tools and techniques as appropriate for your team’s needs
- Act as a servant leader, mentor, and subject matter expert (with some UX domain) to help elevate the quality of work of the overall UX team
- Motivate, inspire, and influence others in the org to engage with design thinking and best UX practices
Sorry, employment visa sponsorship is not available. This position is based in our Cambridge, MA office.