Educate! is seeking enthusiastic and self-driven Program Officers to be part of our inaugural Program Team in Kenya! Program Officers will be at the center of our operations, empowering youth mentors to become leading entrepreneurs; recruiting schools and supporting highly motivated teachers to apply skills-based education in their classrooms; and capturing, processing and integrating data from the field to directly inform our program design. This role involves supporting volunteer mentors in delivering our leadership and entrepreneurship curriculum while also providing capacity-building and coaching opportunities for them as they grow their businesses. Program Officers will have the opportunity to support innovative and engaged teachers through a community of practice and learning around skills-based education. Your experience in the field will make you a valued asset in developing our program through the collection and analysis of data.
Educate! is a high-growth, award-winning education social enterprise.Educate!s top priority as an organization is scaling in Uganda and expanding to new countries. In Uganda, we took a big leap in 2014 from 54 to 238 schools and over 80,000 students. In Rwanda, we are taking a different approach by working through government to support the national competence-based curriculum reform for entrepreneurship subject. In Kenya we are partnering with the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) to pilot an impactful skills-based education model that seeks to improve youth livelihoods in Kenya.
The right person for this opportunity is passionate about our mission of creating leaders and entrepreneurs in Africa, excited about working with youth, has an entrepreneurial spirit, and is committed to being part of a high performing team!
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018, we’re working in 100 schools in Rwanda and more than 500 secondary schools in Uganda reaching over 120,000 students. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda’s entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015 we began serving as a technical advisor to Rwanda on their national curriculum reform.
Educate!’s team includes 100 staff and over 140 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution.
Empower youth mentors to become leading entrepreneurs (40%):
- Lead the selection of top-graduate mentors; maintain strong relationships with them and match mentors to schools.
- Train volunteer mentors to use a mentoring approach in delivering our world class leadership and entrepreneurship curriculum.
- Build mentors’ entrepreneurship and leadership skills through regular group meetings, one-on-one meetings, holiday trainings, and connections to local partnerships.
- Coach mentors as they develop and grow their existing businesses and community projects.
Develop fruitful school relationships to implement the Educate! Experience (20%)
- Recruit and maintain relationships with partner schools in each region of assignment.
- Manage relationships with potential partner schools and the partner schools.
- Coordinate scheduling of lessons and organize regional events.
- Manage relationship with the respective County Education stakeholders.
Lead communities of practice and learning around skills-based education with teachers (20%)
- Train and Support teachers to teach the Community Service Learning in partner schools.
- Support teachers and school administration in partner schools in the areas of school leadership, business and mentorship.
- Lead Teacher Association trainings and meetings.
Capture timely and accurate data to develop lessons learned for the program (10%)
- Submit timely and accurate data from the field.
- Ensure weekly high-quality program reporting from mentors.
- Participate and support the Learning and M&E staff in conducting Educate! experiments and evaluations in the field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education .
- Must be a TSC registered teacher.
- 1-2 years’ experience as a trainer, mentor, or teacher in Kenyan schools or NGOs (preferred)
- Engaging and interactive trainer with passion for coaching team members.
- Must have completed Youth Entrepreneurship Training(YET) with Educate!
- Event management skills: the ability to keep track of multiple activities, plan, and mobilize resources in a timely and efficient manner.
- Strong organizational, writing and communication skills
- A proactive, energetic approach to problem solving
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Willingness and ability to travel to all parts of Kenya.
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include medical insurance.
- This position will be based in Kenya, with travel in different counties.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with the goal to fill these positions ASAP.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.