Educate! is seeking an enthusiastic and self-driven Design Consultant for our Global Team to build out our capacity for program design and innovations for Educate! across our countries of operation. Educate! lives a culture of impact-oriented and iterative program design based on learning and experimentation. The Design Consultant will collaborate with our design teams to develop content and materials to empower teachers to apply skills-based education and to promote students’ leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce skills in East Africa.
Educate! is looking for an experienced program designer who is driven to empower and support teachers in their pedagogical change process through direct training and/or technical advisory to the government, and an expert in the education sector in East Africa – specifically Rwanda.
Educate! is a high-growth, award-winning education social enterprise. Educate!’s top priority as an organization is scaling in Uganda and expanding to new countries. In Uganda, we took a big leap in 2014 from 54 to 238 schools and over 80,000 students. In Rwanda, we are taking a different approach by working through government to support the national competence-based curriculum reform for entrepreneurship subject. In Kenya we are launching a pilot of an impactful skills-based education model improving youth livelihoods in Kenya.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2016 we’re working in 100 schools in Rwanda and more than 350 secondary schools in Uganda reaching over 120,000 students. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015 we began serving as a technical advisor to Rwanda on their national curriculum reform.
Educate!’s team includes 100 staff and over 140 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution.
Educate!’s vision is to reach one million students annually in Africa by 2024.
Potential projects under this Consultancy could include, but are not limited to:
Design trainings for school-wide pedagogical changes
- Develop Teacher Association to support pedagogical change process
- Design training for School Leadership to lead school-wide pedagogical change process
Design education materials for national reform and policy processes
- Designing sample lessons and/or teaching and learning materials
- Designing examination frameworks and examples
Design practical, skills-based education experiences for students
- Design Skills Labs for the Entrepreneurship subject in Rwanda
- Design education experiences on leadership and entrepreneurship for students
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education Science; Teaching Experience in East Africa (preferred)
- Good knowledge of East African/ Rwandan education systems and ongoing reforms
- Knowledge of theory and learning in adult education
- Experience in education program design for NGOs ad government
- High level of proficiency in Windows Word
- Location is Kigali, Rwanda (preferably) with travels across the region
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.