Educate! is looking for a pro-active, flexible, and detail-oriented team player to join our high growth social enterprise at a pivotal moment. This dynamic role offers a broad range of experience with our innovative, industry-leading African education organization. As Development and Communications Coordinator, you will be an indispensable player in Educate!’s day to day operations. You will use a wide range of skills to manage both operational and creative aspects across fundraising and communications projects.
We need someone meticulous, driven to learn on his/her own and happy to pitch in and support the team with a variety of projects. We’re looking for a problem solver who works quickly, loves tackling new challenges, is reliable and trustworthy, and can think critically to develop creative solutions to challenges. This position is great for someone who wants to learn the ins and outs of a first-class, high-growth organization like Educate! – so this role is ideal for an ambitious individual excited about building a meaningful career in the nonprofit sector. The role provides support to our passionate, overachieving team in New York, Colorado, Uganda, and Rwanda as we expand to new countries, work to be the leaders in our field, and reach one million youth annually by 2024.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities. Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship, and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2017 we’re working in 100 secondary schools in Rwanda and 490+ schools in Uganda reaching over 25,000 students intensively and 360,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
Educate!’s team includes 130 staff and almost 200 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as the MasterCard Foundation, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka, and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, was highlighted by Bill Gates, was the focus of an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and by The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s Vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students and reach 4 million students more broadly across Africa each year.
Development and Communications Coordinator Performance Objectives
Manage core communications processes to support Educate! in building our brand (30%)
Educate! is working to be the globally recognized leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa. We need someone to manage the creation of all print materials, maintain our digital presence, support with ensuring brand consistency organization-wide, think creatively to generate new communications ideas and strategies, and be the operational foundation for all of our communications activities. You will:
- Create and project manage Educate!’s bi-monthly e-newsletter and print materials (Annual Report and Year End Update newsletter). Maintain communications standards for other collateral materials and 1-pagers.
- Manage Educate!’s website, blog, and social media accounts including support with developing vision for the website, drafting content, and driving our efforts toward continual website improvement.
- Support with implementing branding and messaging projects to ensure brand consistency across the organization.
Manage core development processes to support Educate! in achieving our funding goals (30%)
Educate! has experienced big growth year over year and the solid systems our External Relations team has built are critical to the success of our fundraising efforts. We need someone to implement our successful prospecting process, acknowledge donors, and maintain our donor and partner database in Salesforce. You will:
- Manage donation and donor acknowledgement processes.
- Refine, build, and support systems for maintaining donor and prospect information through Salesforce database.
- Discover new funding opportunities through prospect research, including preparing the Executive Director for prospect and donor meetings and project managing our conference research process.
Oversee operations and administrative processes, and lead Educate! internship program (20%)
As Educate! scales, we need someone to own behind the scenes administrative processes critical to our growth. We want you to learn this function, and then oversee it, while guiding an administrative teammate to implement it in 2018. Through this function you’ll get exposure to operations, finance, hiring, and management. You will:
- Oversee procurement and purchasing for the organization’s US and Global teams. Supervise administrative functions including expense reports, travel arrangements, and service payments.
- Work with financial management and audit firms to maintain necessary flow of information, reports, and documents.
- Hire and manage a team of local interns who will support Educate!’s fundraising and communications efforts. Liaise between staff and interns on all projects to ensure adequate project completion.
Support the Educate! team (20%):
As a fast-growing organization you can expect a variety of tasks to be passed your way. We need someone who can skillfully and cheerfully field a variety of simple to complex projects as they come at you, give shape to nebulous requests, and find satisfaction in a support role.
Team support project examples include: grant writing and reporting, project managing an org-wide branding upgrade, policy research, development of organizational systems, assisting with preparation for meetings and special events, and other miscellaneous tasks.
- Ambitious and over-achieving, detail oriented with excellent critical thinking skills.
- A “get-it-done” attitude, grit in the face of adversity, and a team-player willingness to support staff on both small and large projects.
- Exceptional trustworthiness, reliability, and good judgement to handle sensitive information and high priority tasks.
- Experience managing projects. No formal “project management” experience is necessary, but you should be comfortable planning and keeping on target a project with many moving pieces and involved stakeholders. Relevant experience could include planning an event, conducting research and writing a report, leading a group in accomplishing a shared goal, or anything else that took superb organization and time management skills, and perseverance to get things done.
- Creative vision for designing communications materials that engage audiences.
- Comfort with learning new technology and software.
- BA or equivalent degree.
- A range of employment profiles could be a fit for this role, and will be considered, but at a minimum one year of professional employment is required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), and Google Suite (Drive, Calendar, etc.)
- Excellent writing, research, and editing skills.
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM a plus.
- Experience with Squarespace or other website builder a plus.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets—see What is Educate! About?
- This is a full-time position based in the Boulder/Denver area.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include a generous health insurance policy, 403(b) retirement savings account, and a generous leave policy, including an office-wide holiday the entire week before New Year’s Day.
- Educate!’s Colorado office is located in Louisville, CO (between Denver and Boulder). Our office policy includes flexibility for remote work a few days each week.
- Preferred start date is November 2017.
Why you will brag about working at Educate!:
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We expanded 10x since 2014, going from 54 to almost 600 schools served today in Uganda and Rwanda. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at scale.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of UNICEF, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the Executive Director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to proactively providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
Please upload your resume and a response to the following questions. Please target one page or less of text for all answers together.
The application deadline will be rolling, with the priority deadline being October 20, 2017.