Educate! is seeking an enthusiastic and self-driven M&E Coordinator for our Kenya Team to start up our efforts for program monitoring on our program. Educate! lives a culture of data-driven decision-making through best-in-class program performance management and iterative program design based on learning and experimentation. The M&E Coordinator will be at the heart of ensuring high standards and quality around M&E with the aim to promote successful learning across the organization.
Educate! is a fast-growing non-profit social enterprise, currently operating in Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya, imminently expanding across East Africa and beyond. We deliver to secondary school youth a skills-based model of education, comprised of leadership and entrepreneurship training, mentorship, and real experience starting an enterprise, and work to incorporate our model into national education systems across Africa. Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students, and reach 4 million students more broadly, across Africa each year.
The right person for this opportunity is excited about working with data, a master coordinator, passionate about our mission of creating leaders and entrepreneurs in Africa, and is committed to being part of a high performing team!
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2016 we’re working in 100 schools in Rwanda and more than 350 secondary schools in Uganda reaching over 120,000 students. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015 we began serving as a technical advisor to Rwanda on their national curriculum reform.
Educate!’s team includes 100 staff and over 140 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution.
Educate!’s vision is to reach one million students annually in Africa by 2024.
Build and maintain Monitoring system aligned with Programs needs and targets
- Oversee high quality and functionality of Monitoring system
- Design Monitoring tools and data collection procedures
- Maintain M&E technologies for real-time data collection
Empower field staff in the implementation of high-quality M&E
- Empower a strong team to implement program monitoring
- Conduct practical and interactive trainings on Program Monitoring
- Offer leadership and technical support field staff with their Monitoring responsibilities
Coordinate timely and accurate data collection to monitor program performance
- Coordinate data collection according to set expectations, timelines and quality standards
- Manage towards timely submission and high data accuracy of monitoring data
- Collaborate with the Programs Team on the successful implementation of the Monitoring activities
Ensure reporting on program performance leads to practical changes in program management and design
- Produce real-time and attractive Monitoring Reports
- Lead review of Monitoring results with the Programs and Leadership Team
- Make recommendations to improve program management and design
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science or similar
- High level of proficiency in Windows Excel
- Engaging and interactive trainer with passion for coaching team members
- Wide experience in coordination of field-based Monitoring activities
- Knowledge of quantitative & qualitative research approaches
- Good skills in data analysis presentation and report writing
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Location is Nairobi, Kenya
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.