Based at our Nairobi office, the M&E Coordinator will support the design, planning and implementation of our program monitoring and learning initiatives in line with Educate! Kenya strategy and donor requirements.
Specifically, the incumbent will embody our culture of data-driven decision-making through best-in-class program performance management and iterative program design based on learning and experimentation. He/ she will be at the heart of ensuring high standards and quality around M&E with the aim of promoting successful learning across the organization.
The right person for this role is excited about working with data, a master coordinator, passionate about our mission of creating leaders and entrepreneurs in Africa, and is committed to being part of a high performing team!
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda and over 700 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students and reach 4 million students more broadly across Africa each year.
M&E System Management: 20%
- Design, develop and manage an up-to-date system for (a) programs logistics, (b) program outcomes monitoring through the SMS and smartphone reporting, and (c) impact evaluation to ensure up-to-date information for planning and informed decision-making.
- Oversee and coordinate all M&E printing and procurement to ensure timely delivery of high quality of M&E materials
- Create and revise procedures, tools and data collection questionnaires for selected KPIs for the Kenya program
M&E Implementation / Coordination: 30%
- Collaborate with Kenya country leadership and National Programs team to make sure government partners are consulted on all data collection activities and their feedback is incorporated to the extent possible.
- Design, facilitate and coordinate recommended capacity building initiatives, such as termly trainings, trainings on Monitoring tools and procedures, etc. for relevant stakeholders, in order to facilitate a culture of results-based management.
- Coordinate the process of termly and annual KPI monitoring for the Kenya Program, ensuring that the data is collected for the monitoring system using paperwork, surveyCTO and SMS platforms in a timely and harmonious manner.
Data Analysis & Reporting: 30%
- Perform periodic data quality assessments to ensure validity, integrity, precision, reliability and timeliness of all program data; identify any deficiencies and suggest corrective actions.
- Ensure accurate compilation and timely publication of M&E reports, including Mid-of-Term and End-of-Term Monitoring Reports as well as the timely and accurate maintenance of the M&E Dashboard.
- Present analysis and interpretation of termly Monitoring Reports to the Educate! Team as well as the Internal Advisory Board.
Evaluation & Research: 20%
- Assist the Evaluation Director to set learning agenda, determine methodology, design data collection, and oversee execution of research and evaluation.
- Assist in the conduct of high quality and timely evaluation/ impact assessment of key projects/ programmes to ensure the achievement of desired outcomes.
- Liaise with external researchers and evaluators for on-time completion of high quality research and evaluation.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or similar and 2 - 3 years of experience in M&E with an Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) at coordinator level, with at least 1 year coordinating or planning field-based data collection activities.
- Demonstrated strong research, monitoring and evaluation skills, including planning/ participating in evaluations and computer aided questionnaire design and implementation (surveyCTO/ ODK) and SMS surveying systems.
- High level of computer literacy: Ms Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. and at least one statistical package such as SPSS, STATA, R, and excellent analytical and report writing skills.
- Engaging and interactive trainer with passion for coaching team members, with experience in training and capacity building.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Location is Nairobi, Kenya, with periodic travels to field sites.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
*Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with preference to close position asap. Priority deadline is June 7th.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.