Educate! An award winning non-profit social enterprise is looking for a self-driven, highly enterprising and enthusiastic candidate to fill the Temporary Finance Officer Position (1) in Uganda. The successful candidate will join our high performing Operations’ Team.
Educate! prides in creating impact and spreading this impact to thousands of more youth across the Country. The Youth Leaders will be at the heart of supporting the mobilisation of ambitious youths, recruit and support a team of mentors that will be delivering the skills-based course & mentorship to the youths, support in Monitoring, Evaluation & database; and field logistics management.
The right candidates for this opportunity are excited about working with young and ambitious youth, self-driven, passionate about our mission of creating leaders and entrepreneurs in Africa, and committed to being part of a high performing team!
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with youth, schools, and governments to design and deliver solutions that equip young people in Africa with the skills to attain further education, overcome gender inequities, start businesses, get jobs, and drive development in their communities. Our goal is to design skills-based education and employment solutions which impact youth life outcomes sustainably and at scale.
In 2019, we partnered with the governments of Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya and measurably impacted over 46,000 youth in and out of schools while reaching 470,000 learners more broadly, making us the biggest youth skills providers in East Africa. Amidst the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve pivoted to create and deploy a distance learning model based on our proven in-school experience, and reached over 100,000 students by October 2020. Read here to learn more about Educate!’s distance learning model.
Two rigorous external evaluations of our flagship in-school model, including a randomized controlled trial, found that towards the end of secondary school, participants of our program earn nearly double the income of their peers. A follow-up RCT found that four years later, youth achieve strong and lasting shifts in skills, coupled with significant improvements in education and gender equity-related outcomes, especially young women. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Daniel who opened a rural health clinic in his community employing two people and conducting about 350 checkups per month.
Educate! supports governments with integrating skills-based curriculum nationally. This includes partnering with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a Student Business Club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally and serving as a technical advisor to both Rwanda and Kenya on national education reforms.
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise with over 160 staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize (and was featured in a video), a 2015 WISE Award, and was highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions and by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youths across Africa each year.
- Quick Book Posting (50%
- Record Keeping (20%)
- Accounts Receivable (20%)
- Trainings (10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business administration (Accounting /Finance) or B. Commerce with 1-2 years’ experience working in accounting .
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, with excellent MS Word and Excel skills, Power point, Email, google drive etc.
- Quick books
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Thoroughness when accomplishing tasks
- Approachability & Team work
- Systems oriented, high integrity
- Experience in multitasking in a fast – paced environment, set priorities, work independently as well as thrive a team.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Attractive Benefits & Perks including Medical Insurance.
- Location is Kampala, Uganda.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.