Educate!, a fast-growing and award-winning social enterprise, is seeking an Expansion Director to drive our government partnerships strategy in new countries across Africa. We’re looking for a driven and extremely strategic leader with experience building government partnerships in multiple countries, to lay the groundwork for expansion of our education system solutions.
Educate! has already partnered with governments in Rwanda and Kenya to support curriculum reform through our education system solutions, and results from a rigorous impact evaluation have shown that our cost-effective solutions create real impact on youth through national education systems. We have all of the evidence and experience to support curriculum reform in new countries and move towards our vision of measurably impacting millions of youth across Africa every year. The Expansion Director will work closely with our expansion team to create the partnership strategy and build the partnerships necessary to make that vision a reality.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with youth, schools, and governments to design and deliver solutions that equip young people in Africa with the skills to attain further education, overcome gender inequities, start businesses, get jobs, and drive development in their communities. Our goal is to design skills-based education and employment solutions which impact youth life outcomes sustainably and at scale.
In 2019, we partnered with the governments of Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya and measurably impacted over 46,000 youth in and out of schools while reaching 470,000 learners more broadly, making us the biggest youth skills providers in East Africa. Amidst the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve pivoted to create and deploy a distance learning model based on our proven in-school experience and reached over 100,000 students by October 2020. Read here to learn more about Educate!’s distance learning model.
Two rigorous external evaluations of our flagship in-school model, including a randomized controlled trial, found that towards the end of secondary school, participants of our program earn nearly double the income of their peers. A follow-up RCT found that four years later, youth achieve strong and lasting shifts in skills, coupled with significant improvements in education and gender equity-related outcomes, especially young women. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Daniel who opened a rural health clinic in his community employing two people and conducting about 350 checkups per month.
Educate! supports governments with integrating skills-based curriculum nationally. This includes partnering with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a Student Business Club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally and serving as a technical advisor to both Rwanda and Kenya on national education reforms.
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise with over 160 staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize (and was featured in a video), a 2015 WISE Award, and was highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions and by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
Expansion Strategy Oversight
- Oversee strategy for expansion, which is built as a cohort-based program for Ministers of Education and Directors of National Curriculum Development Agencies.
- Co-develop international expansion criteria with our Chief Operating Officer and Expansion Strategist
Stakeholder and Policy Mapping
- Lead scoping initiatives and partnership building for new country expansion
- Drive business development in new countries through representing the organization at conferences and on task forces.
- Analyze education policies from a variety of contexts
- Help create Educate! partnership proposal materials in line with government priorities
High-Level Partnership Negotiations
- Develop partnerships with high-level government officials, such as Ministers of Education, Permanent Secretaries, and Directors of National Curriculum Development Agencies.
- Negotiate meaningful partnerships around supporting governments to build the political support and financial resources to reform curricula towards the goal of developing learner’s skills for the future.
- Develop workshop strategies, develop materials and facilitate workshops as part of co-developing solutions with governments.
- Present research and best practices to government technical teams to influence their curriculum reform strategies
- Proven track record engaging and influencing high-profile networks. National and county government partnerships are preferred.
- Experience creating partnership strategy.
- Preference for experience working in multiple countries.
- Strong leadership skills, executive disposition, and ability to take a cooperative and problem-solving approach.
- A good fit with our Five Cultural Tenets (see “What is Educate! About?” Below; learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.