NawiriPro, a Kenyan-led social enterprise launched in 2019 by Educate! and recently recognized by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for progress towards decent work and economic growth, is seeking a CTO-level Technology Advisor to be part of building an innovative educational product for out-of-school youth in Kenya. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and collaborative leader who is passionate about building tech products that will meaningfully improve life outcomes for underserved customers. While this is a consultancy position, it has long-term potential and you will work directly with the Co-Founders as a key member of the team that is building this product.
You could be the perfect fit for this role if you:
- A strategic thinker and an expert in learning management technological development
- An A-level developer with deep knowledge of programming, software architecture design, cloud-based infrastructure configuration, open-source platforms e.t.c
- Have a high EQ (Emotional Intelligence) and can create strong relationships within the team and are able to work independently, feel comfortable communicating to all levels of leadership (both internal & external)
- Thrive in a scrappy environment and are comfortable with ambiguity and frequent changes to direction as the company works towards product-market fit and learns to operate at scale.
About Educate! & NawiriPro
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. Our goal is to design skills-based education and employment solutions which impact youth life outcomes sustainably and at scale. In 2019, we partnered with the governments of Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya and measurably impacted over 46,000 youth in and out of schools while reaching 470,000 learners more broadly, making us the biggest youth skills providers in East Africa. In 2020, we rapidly adapted to a changing world by creating distance learning solutions to serve youth during the pandemic.
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise with over 150 staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize (and was featured in a video), a 2015 WISE Award, and was highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions and by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator.
In March 2019, Educate! launched a new social enterprise unit within our organization called “NawiriPro”, based in Kenya. NawiriPro is building a new product that will offer faster and more affordable educational pathways for out-of-school youth, enabling them to thrive in the informal economy. NawiriPro is building a user-paying bootcamp model, which targets youth and parents as payers for the bootcamp to create a fully sustainable and customer-centred social impact product.
To date, we have more than 3,000 motorcycle riders using the NawiriPro e-learning platform. Our long-term vision is to serve more than 100,000 youth annually with a break-even business model.
- Identify and compare our tech solution to review if it meets our current and future needs by providing advice on best practices on building an LMS and further offerings.
- Use stakeholders’ feedback to inform the necessary improvements and adjustments to our technology.
- Communicate and document technology strategy to internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage our tech consultancy firm on the development timelines for the development and deployment of all technological services.
- Monitor Tech KPIs and budgets to assess technological performance.
- Explore new technologies and recommend to the leadership team whether to implement them.
Managing Technical Design & Deliverables
- Assess the technical feasibility and design the software architecture; recommend and advise on the suitable technology stack
- Create and manage our access, dev experience & operations, hosting, testing, intra-communication, storage, caching, backend CMS, frontend, security and business intelligence tech strategy.
- Work with the tech consulting firm to design and configure infrastructure.
- Work with the tech consulting firm to design and implement a database design.
- Review the quality assurance and data protection processes.
- Improve and optimize application architecture.
- Ensure scalability of the application and infrastructure.
- Ensuring all technology practices adhere to regulatory standards.
- Review the SLAs of the tech consultancy firm and escalation matrix.
- Diagnosing technology system problems, inefficiencies and weaknesses and share recommendations.
- Identify root causes and associated corrective actions,evaluate product performance (via internal audit), lead continuous improvement efforts, and collaborate with the tech consultancy firm on the execution of technical or product changes.
- Produce detailed reports on the efficacy of the technology by communicating in understandable business terms and provide full technical build documentation.
- More than 6 years of building commercial and educational tech products in developing markets.
- Previous working experience at or near the CTO (Chief Technology Officer) level for at least a mid-sized organization
- In-depth knowledge of web learning systems architecture, design and development
- Ability to conduct technological analyses and research
- Hands-on experience with complex project management
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Extensive industry knowledge with an eye towards the future.
- Collaborative, data-oriented approach to problem-solving
- You fit our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is NawiriPro About? below)
- Our team is based in Nairobi, Kenya, but you can work remotely from anywhere.
People inspire us with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at NawiriPro to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers. We are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Are Youth First - We believe in the youth’s power and design a model that depends on them. To create effective solutions, we have to see and understand the challenges and opportunities that real people encounter in their lives. Continuously improve through build-measure-learn loops, build based on evidence-based solution and research. It also means we use the Human-centred approach to design our solutions.
- We Are Committed - The team is self-directed, and all members are dedicated to completing work that has been agreed upon. The number one driver of an innovation culture is team cohesion. We need to feel a sense of togetherness, working towards a larger goal. In NawiriPro, we believe that sharing generously and being open are essential traits in driving cohesion and innovation.
- We Are Courageous - When you work at NawiriPro, you will realise that our risk appetite is an indicator of how innovative we can be. We understand that risk is an inherent part of the innovation process. As we test out new ideas, some will fail. We, therefore, embrace failure and create a safe to fail environment.
- We Respect each other - The team is composed of members who have different strengths, and each individual's strengths are respected. There is no finger-pointing when discussing how to fix what is not working. The team operates as a single entity and succeeds or fails together.
- We Practice learning - Through daily stand up meetings, the team is given time to gather and share what has been successful and what needs to be improved. It takes training and learning every step to recognize and support disruptive innovation.
Every person at NawiriPro — from interns to the Managing Director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
NawiriPro is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from various cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.