Educate!, a fast-growing and award-winning social enterprise, is seeking a CTO-level Technology Advisor to be part of building an innovative educational product for out-of-school youth in Kenya. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and collaborative leader who is passionate about building tech products that will meaningfully improve life outcomes for under-served customers. While this is a consultancy position, it has long-term potential and you will work directly with the Co-Founders as a key member of the team that is building this product.
Your work will be critical to Educate!’s vision of measurably impacting millions of youth across Africa each year.
You could be the perfect fit for this role if you:
- A strategic thinker and an expert in learning management technological development
- An A-level developer with deep knowledge of programming, software architecture design, cloud-based infrastructure configuration, open-source platforms e.t.c
- Have a high EQ (Emotional Intelligence) and can create strong relationships within the team and are able to work independently, feel comfortable communicating to all levels of leadership (both internal & external)
- Thrive in a scrappy environment and are comfortable with ambiguity and frequent changes to direction as the company works towards product-market fit and learns to operate at scale.
- Identify and compare our tech solution to review if it meets our current and future needs by providing advice on best practices on building an LMS.
- Use stakeholders’ feedback to inform the necessary improvements and adjustments to our technology.
- Communicate and document technology strategy to internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage our tech consultancy firm on the development timelines for the development and deployment of all technological services.
- Monitor Tech KPIs and budgets to assess technological performance.
- Explore new technologies and recommend to the leadership team whether to implement them.
Managing Technical Design & Deliverables
- Assess the technical feasibility and design the software architecture; recommend and advise on the suitable technology stack
- Create and manage our access, dev experience & operations, hosting, testing, intra-communication, storage, caching, backend CMS, frontend, security and business intelligence tech strategy.
- Work with the tech consulting firm to design and configure infrastructure.
- Work with the tech consulting firm to design and implement a database design.
- Review the quality assurance and data protection processes.
- Improve and optimize application architecture.
- Ensure scalability of the application and infrastructure.
- Ensuring all technology practices adhere to regulatory standards.
- Review the SLAs of the tech consultancy firm and escalation matrix.
Technical Auditing & Documentation
- Diagnosing technology system problems, inefficiencies and weaknesses and share recommendations.
- Identify root causes and associated corrective actions, evaluate product performance (via internal audit), lead continuous improvement efforts, and collaborate with the tech consultancy firm on the execution of technical or product changes.
- Produce detailed reports on the efficacy of the technology by communicating in understandable business terms and provide full technical build documentation.
- More than 6 years of building commercial and educational tech products in developing markets.
- Previous working experience at or near the CTO (Chief Technology Officer) level for (3-5) years for at least a mid-sized organization
- Advanced technological skillset and a demonstrated history with technology.
- In-depth knowledge of web learning systems architecture, design and development
- Ability to conduct technological analyses and research
- Hands-on experience with complex project management
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Extensive industry knowledge with an eye towards the future.
- Collaborative, data-oriented approach to problem-solving
- Learn more by looking at Learning Point culture deck here
About Educate/Learning Point
Educate! Is a Non-Profit Social Enterprise that prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. For the last 10 years, we have been tackling youth unemployment by reforming what schools teach and how they teach it so that youth in Africa have the skills to start businesses, get a job and drive development in their communities. We’re now the biggest youth skills provider in East Africa (passing up BRAC) measurably impacting 46,000 youth this year (34,000 in Uganda). Work in Uganda is the biggest youth skills provider in the region on its own (it serves as many youths as BRAC serves across East Africa work in Uganda, Rwanda & Kenya.
We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize (and was featured in a video), a 2015 WISE Award, and was highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions.
In 2019, Educate! created Learning Point to further leverage the SEED model by building a sustainable solution for a significant and underserved demographic group: out-of-school youth.
- Through a virtual Bootcamp-style educational skills course, Educate!’s offering equips out-of-school youth with the skills to launch and grow an enterprise in the informal market – starting with the Boda Boda and retail/kiosk industries.
- Following the completion of the course, Educate! will connect participants to digital lenders to secure preferential loan access to start and grow their small businesses.
- Our graduates make 33% more than a one-year experienced Boda Boda Business Owner. We have piloted this new model and our graduates are currently making an average monthly revenue of Kes 40,000 per month on their Boda Boda Business.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, there is a drive towards e-commerce and the lifeblood of this will be motorcycle couriers. Learning Point sees these frontline workers as not only a key area for job creation, especially for youth during this crisis, but also key for ensuring that everyone whose lives have been upended has food security and access to essential items. Delivery people are going to be key players in this pandemic, and Learning Point is planning to prepare them with education and opportunities needed to position them for success.
Currently, Learning Point is building a virtual, light web learning platform to teach youth how to 1) protect both themselves and prevent the spread of COVID-19. 2) do their jobs well and 3)access e-commerce platforms.
Learning Point Culture
We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Learning Point to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- Commitment -The team is self-directed, and all members are dedicated to completing work that has been agreed upon. Always remember we are in this together. The number one driver of an innovation culture is team cohesion. We need to feel a sense of togetherness, working towards a larger goal.
- We Put Youth First - We believe in the power of youth and designed a model that depends on them. We will be using the Human Center Design to build our OoSY product; Inspiration to the Implementation process.
- Courage - The team operates as a single entity and succeeds or fails together. We create a safe to fail environment by holding blameless sprint retrospectives which are an effective process for avoiding (or overcoming) a blame culture and instead of keeping the focus on identifying ‘conditions, not culprits'.
- Respect - The team is composed of members who have different strengths, and each individual's strengths are respected. There is no finger-pointing when discussing how to fix what is not working.
- Openness - The team is given time to gather and share what has been successful and what needs to be improved. We create an environment where we practice learning which is the core of innovation.
Every person at Learning Point — from interns to the Managing director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five values/principles. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Learning Point is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.