Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise that prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. We’ve massively scaled up our program in the past several years, growing more than 4x since 2014. In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 700 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. And our Vision for 2024 is even bigger -- to measurably impact one million youth annually across Africa.
Educate! currently achieves impact on youth life outcomes through direct delivery of our model in schools (what we call “School Solutions”) and through the integration of our model into national education systems (“Education System Solutions”). In addition to these two solution areas, in 2019 Educate! is exploring a new and innovative pathway to sustainably impact Out of School Youth (OoSY) livelihoods at scale through a Disruptive Innovation unit.
Our model has proven to have a massive impact -- after the program, students earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 44% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka, and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of the 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate! is thus looking for fresh, fun, and creative individuals with star potential to join our Team for 3 months as Interns. We aim at providing the Intern's an opportunity to acquire practical aspects of their respective areas of specialization within Sales, Marketing and Training.
Sales Field Teams
Profile for Sales Field Team Interns
- Passion for youth empowerment
- Strong communication, networking, and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and driven
- Strong team player
- A degree/diploma/Certificate in Sales, marketing, commerce or a related field would be advantageous.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with English, Kiswahili, and Sheng
- Excellent customer service skills.
Profile for Telemarketing Interns
- Must own a laptop
- Builds rapport with customers easily on the phone
- Target driven and resilient to make conversions
- Can challenge respectfully, constructively and effectively
- Ability to persuade and influence effectively
- Tenacious and resilient, charismatic
- Strong work ethic
- Strong oral and written communication skills with English, Kiswahili and Sheng
- Attention to detail
- Good data entry skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Willingness to learn
- Adaptable & flexible- are able to switch tactics quickly depending on the new LP strategies and customers
- Qualification - Degree/diploma/certificate in any field
Profile for Training Team Interns
- Excellent communication with English, Kiswahili, and Sheng
- Ability to form good relationships
- Effective organizational skill
- Approachable team player
- Strong influence and negotiation skills
- Opportunity to work with a great team and gain experience
- Build a sales, telemarketing or training career
- 3-month hands-on internship with the possibility of extension to 6 months based on performance
We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision as the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favourite college mentor, or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.