We are looking for enthusiastic, self-driven, with great interpersonal and communication skills to fill the Program Manager - Bootcamp position in the Out of School Youth (OosY) Bootcamp Program. They shall be responsible for: Program Planning and Implementation; through planning and providing leadership on product development (research, prototyping, development, iteration and piloting), experiments, operational processes, implementation and overall management of the Bootcamp program: Team Leadership; by managing the Bootcamp team to achieve program objectives, establish and maintain team culture, oversight of work allocation and monitoring, conducting periodic team check-ins and site visits: Finance and Administration; providing oversight on program finance and administration activities, responsible for monthly reporting and ensuring program costs are within budget as well as coordinating with other departments for smooth program implementation: Product metrics and monitoring tools; through identifying, research on, and support the design and development of evaluation criteria, product metrics and measurement tools and share feedback with the product owner, ensuring documentation and routine knowledge sharing across teams and leadership. The OosY Bootcamp Program’s focus is to serve the lowest income and most vulnerable segment of out-of-school youth by exploring creating an alternative learning experience to academic secondary. You’ll be joining a motivated, passionate, overachieving team that is positioning Educate! to be the leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa and intensively impact millions of youth each year.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by reforming what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2020, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 750 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes nearly 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
- Program Planning & Implementation (40%):
Planning and development
- Understand program requirements and develop plans to meet milestones
- Use Agile program management and Lean Start-Up best practices and methodologies in product research, development, testing and implementation
- In collaboration with the program design team lead user and industry track market research informed by program hypothesis and assumptions, developing a rapid feedback loop to inform product development through data analysis and insights
- Provide planning support for the Bootcamp pilot within the constraints of the program’s scope, schedule, cost and quality including
- personnel planning
- work plan development
- oversight of procurement and purchasing
- tracking program performance
- Manage the day to day aspects of program operations, coordination, implementation, and delivery at boot camp pilot sites
- Ensure the team has all the materials, supplies and resources required for program delivery
- Lead and manage the design and implementation of experiments through supervision of the Experiments Officer and in collaboration with the design team
- Ensure experiments are well aligned to program plans and strategies, including the development of data collection tools, as well as the oversight of data collection efforts and analysis
- Build systems or processes to develop rapid experiments that lead to prototypes & pre-tests of the products as informed by the Agile and Lean StartUp frameworks
- Conduct an analysis of quantitative and qualitative data as part of experiments and pilots and produce accurate and actionable learnings to inform product development
- Train appropriate program staff on the purpose of Experiments, understanding of data collection tools and capacity to implement relevant activities
- Train the team on the implementation of experimentation and research activities such as interviews, field observations, and focus group discussions as needed
- Ensure that field activities including data collection are meeting the objectives of the Experiment
- Create informative, attractive, and user-friendly monthly reports on implementation progress and learning, and share them with the team
- Lead and document post-mortems of experimentation activities, and lead the team in capturing and utilizing lessons learned for program improvement
- Ensure that money allocated for Experiment activities are based on realistic assumptions and are updated or revised as needed
- Liaise with the administration and finance coordinator to coordinate external printing (where needed) and procurement of materials needed for experimentation activities
- Ensure product prototyping and testing is done as planned with the ability to rapidly pivot and adjust as we learn
- Lead and manage product delivery ensuring continuous feedback loops from our course participants and implementing team for product improvement
- Monitor and assure the quality of training delivered
- Ensure the trainers effectively use the tools provided to organize teaching, learning, and documentation of training activities
- Identify process improvement opportunities and communicate these to the program design and leadership team
- Assist in program analysis with M&E to track performance and identify successes and opportunities to change approaches and share feedback with the program design and leadership team
- Coordinate with the Directors to resolve program performance issues and develop recovery plans
- Ensure accurate documentation and reporting of program activities, outcomes, and insights with recommendations for product and process improvements
- Identify sites for both residential and non-residential bootcamp pilot delivery
- Ensure logistics for the residential pilot are planned and executed with precision (staffing, food, accommodation, utilities, etc)
- Develop mobilization strategy, map potential sites for recruitment and manage mobilization for each pilot delivery
- Create a database of participants and ensure all those shortlisted to join meet entry criteria
- Point person for all inquiry, registration, preparation, and program communication with course participants and other stakeholders
- Team Leadership (25%):
Leadership and performance management
- Provide team leadership to program staff (trainers, enumerators, finance and admin coordinator, M&E coordinator)
- Ensure effective onboarding for team members
- Support the development and maintenance of a positive, healthy team culture that empowers the team to be responsive and agile in product development and implementation
- Supervise program team
- Manage work assignments to program staff, trainer allocation, and monitoring of program implementation
- Monitor the team’s performance and ensure the team is supported to achieve the program objectives
- Provide coaching and mentorship to the team
- Finance & Administration (20%):
- Ensure documentation and recording of all finance and requirements
- Ensure program activities are run within budget
- Track expenses, identify cost variances and provide corrective actions
- Manage the day to day operational aspects of the program in consultation with the directors.
- Oversee all finance and administrative tasks associated with the program - timelines, schedules, resources and budget
- Interdepartmental coordination to ensure smooth implementation of the program
- Ensure the team is complying with company policies and regulations
- Ensure documentation and recording of all finance and administrative program requirements
- Ensure timely reporting and documentation of program activities
- Communicate program progress on a regular basis
- Product Metrics & Monitoring tools (15%):
Metrics and Monitoring
- Collaborate with Leadership and program team to determine quality assurance strategies and questions
- Identify and track the behavioral change process for our bootcamp participants and share feedback with the product owner
- Research best practices, tools and processes to understand what user metrics will inform that we are developing a product responsive to industry-specific needs
- Support the design and building of user and product metrics
- Ensure documentation and routine sharing of knowledge and experiences across teams and leadership
- BSc in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration, Management or a related field. 1-2 years’ experience working in Program Management and, or administration
- Proven team management, leadership, time management, facilitation, and organization skills·
- Proven experience with monitoring and evaluation; Collaborative, data-oriented approach to problem-solving with Proficiency in conducting user and product research
- Familiarity and experience with agile project management and Lean Start-Up
- Proficiency in English and in MS Office
- Customer service orientation and negotiation skills with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Benefits include Medical Insurance.
- Location is Kampala, Uganda.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
Intrigued? Please visit the link to apply. You will be asked to upload a resume, and your response to the following questions:
Deadline for sending applications is Friday 24th January 2020.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.