Educate! is looking for a proactive, ﬂexible, and detail-oriented team player to join our high-growth social enterprise. This dynamic role oﬀers a broad range of experience with our innovative education organization. As Communications Associate or Assistant, title to be based upon years of experience, you will be an indispensable player in Educate!’s day-to-day communications operations to support the organization in achieving our funding goals. You will use a wide range of skills to manage both operational and creative aspects across a variety of projects and teams.
We need someone meticulous, driven to learn, and happy to pitch in and support multiple teams with a variety of projects. We’re looking for a problem solver who works quickly, loves tackling new challenges, is reliable and trustworthy, and can think critically to develop creative solutions to challenges. This position is great for someone who wants to learn the ins and outs of a high-growth organization like Educate! – so this role is ideal for an ambitious individual excited about building a meaningful career in the nonproﬁt sector. The role provides support to our passionate, overachieving teams in New York, Colorado, Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya as we work to be the leaders in our ﬁeld, impacting millions of youth across Africa each year.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with schools and governments to reform what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to attain further education, overcome gender inequities, start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2019, we’re partnering with the government to pilot in 60+ schools in Kenya, working in 275+ secondary schools in Rwanda, and 800+ schools in Uganda (25% of the country) reaching over 46,000 students intensively and 470,000 more broadly. Two rigorous external evaluations, including a randomized controlled trial, found that towards the end of secondary school, participants of our program earn nearly DOUBLE the income of their peers. A follow-up RCT found that four years later, our graduates demonstrate large and durable shifts in skills, coupled with significant improvements in education and gender equity-related outcomes. Girls achieve even greater results. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Daniel who leveraged both his medical education and the transferable and business skills gained through Educate! to open a rural health clinic in his community employing two people and conducting about 350 checkups per month.
Educate! supports governments with integrating skills-based curriculum nationally. This includes partnering with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally and serving as a technical advisor to both Rwanda and Kenya on national education reforms.
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise with 200 staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize (and was featured in a video), a 2015 WISE Award, and was highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
Develop and produce content for external communications to build Educate!’s brand and communicate our impact (50%)
Educate! is working to be the globally recognized leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa. We need someone to create content for external communications, help produce all print materials, support with maintaining our digital presence, and work to ensure brand consistency organization-wide. You will:
- Develop and manage content for Educate!’s blog and social media accounts.
- Support the creation and distribution of Educate!’s bi-monthly e-newsletters and bi-annual print mailings.
- Draft copy and support the design of external marketing materials and ensure communications standards are met for all external communications.
- Support with uploading to and updating our website.
- Assist with the rolling out of branding and messaging updates org-wide.
- Liaise with our East African-based internal communications team to ensure effective and efficient news sharing across the organization.
- Maintain our editorial calendar, workplan, and annual communications goals.
Support the Leadership, External Relations, and National Programs teams (25%)
As a fast-growing organization you can expect a variety of tasks to be passed your way from our leadership team as well as the External Relations and National Programs teams. We need someone who can skillfully and cheerfully field a variety of simple to complex projects as they come at you, give shape to nebulous requests, and find satisfaction in a support role.
- Support the Executive Director with email communications, drafting thank you’s, follow-up emails, cold introductions, among others.
- Assist the Leadership Team in scheduling and facilitating successful meetings, creating visuals or other materials as needed.
- Aide the National Programs teams in creating effective marketing materials and email communications.
- Conduct strategy research and summarize findings.
- Support with various operational and logistical tasks for Leadership Team as needed.
Conduct research and draft communications for successful prospect interactions to support Educate! in achieving our funding goals (25%)
Educate! continues to grow and the solid systems our External Relations team has built are critical to the success of our fundraising eﬀorts. We need someone to implement our successful prospecting process and help to maintain our partner database in Salesforce. You will:
- Discover new funding opportunities through both ad hoc and planned prospect research, including preparing the staff for prospect and partner meetings.
- Support our conference research process and manage our conference and event calendar.
- Create tools to facilitate successful prospect interactions at conferences and events.
- Support the Fundraising Team with reports, proposals, and award applications as needed.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets – see What is Educate! about?
- Ambitious and over-achieving, detail oriented with excellent critical thinking skills.
- Exceptional trustworthiness, reliability, and good judgement to handle sensitive information and high-priority tasks.
- A “get-it-done” attitude, grit in the face of adversity, and a team-player willingness to support staﬀ on projects large and small.
- An exceptional writer with experience adapting writing to a variety of styles and audiences.
- Experience managing projects – planning and keeping on target a project with many moving pieces and stakeholders.
- BA or equivalent experience.
- A range of employment proﬁles could be a ﬁt for this role, and will be considered, but we anticipate the ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of work experience.
- Proﬁcient in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and the Google Suite (Drive, Calendar, etc.).
- Comfort with learning new technology and software.
- Experience with Squarespace or other website builder a plus.
- Experience with the Adobe Suite of programs a plus.
- Experience assisting leadership-level staff a plus.
- This is an early career, full-time position based in Denver, Colorado.
- Educate!’s Colorado office is located at the Posner Center for International Development in North Denver. Our office policy includes a flexible work environment and option for remote work each week.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include a generous health insurance policy, 403(b) retirement savings account, and a generous leave policy, including an office-wide holiday the entire week before New Year’s Day.
- Preferred start is February 2020, with flexibility for the right candidate.
The application deadline will be rolling until the role is filled.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. Since we first launched in 2009, we have grown to reach over 1,000 schools across three countries of operation, intensively impacting 100,000 youth across Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at scale.
- We believe in local and female leadership — 97% of our staff is African and 12/16 of Educate!’s top positions are held by women.
- Educate!’s model is incorporated into the national curriculum and exams in Uganda and Rwanda, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, learning, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of UNICEF, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the Executive Director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to proactively providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.