The Director of Education Systems Solutions leads the organizations work with government on three fronts. First, by playing a central role in setting long-term strategies for how to create impact through schools, district and national government partners through both advocacy and direct programming. Second, by co-creating programming with design and country teams aligned to system-change strategies. Finally, through leading the functional development of the national program and coaching teams on how to execute against it. This includes defining how teams engage with governments and manage to advocacy goals centered on national curriculum, assessment, district monitoring, and teacher training policies and programming.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities. Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 700 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform. Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors.
We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students and reach 4 million students more broadly across Africa each year.
Government Solutions Oversight (30%)
- Co-create sustainability strategies with global team and country leadership to achieve education-system driven impact in Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda.
- Lead cross-functional workshops and discussions to design program strategies, government proposals and plans for joint-government programming
- Adapt and iterate on government programming based on sustainability strategy, research, pilots, advocacy and other opportunities within country
National Program Functional Strategy (30%)
- Build the functional strategy for the national program, including management systems, talent strategy, and stakeholder management
- Roll-out functional strategy initiatives and coach teams in how to effectively run the department
- Co-develop strategy for in-country external communications
Government Engagement Strategy and Oversight (20%)
- Lead the co-creation of DQ process strategy maps with National Program teams and Managing Director
- Advise teams through bi-weekly check ins, monthly calls and health checks on overcoming blocks and adapting advocacy strategies
- Oversee planning and ensure strategic alignment for reform facilitation workshops
Expansion and Partnership Building Initiatives (10%)
- Co-develop international expansion criteria
- Lead scoping initiatives and partnership building for new country expansion
- Drive business development in current and existing countries through representing the organization at conferences and on task forces, both in east Africa and in the US
- Build organization’s brand through advising on thought-leadership strategy, especially as it relates to content on education systems change
Disruption Initiatives (10%)
- Lead the co-development of the strategy on how to leverage government credentialing and partnerships to create a viable alternative to secondary
- Lead creative initiatives that push the boundaries of government partnerships to inform organization-wide strategy and programming
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.