Educate! is seeking an ambitious and experienced leader and systems-builder to provide organization-wide oversight on program quality, monitoring, and program implementation at scale. As Educate!’s Regional Head of Program Quality (RHPQ), you’ll help solidify our successes and chart our future growth, building on our strengths in program management and execution and pursuing new opportunities to deepen and expand our impact. The RHPQ will report to the Managing Director and join a driven, high-performing leadership team.
The right person for this role will come with experience leading and managing teams across different functional and geographic units, will be excellent at coordinating multiple areas of strategy and execution, and will lead collaboration among directors, manager and their teams to solve some of the organizations biggest challenges related to programming and scale. With at least 6-8 years of dynamic experience (10+ years preferred), the RHPQ will have worked in a startup environment and built program management systems. You’ll have experience managing and coaching teams and be able to bridge the gaps between strategy and execution in a new program or project.
Educate! currently works in more than 700 schools in Uganda and 170 schools in Rwanda, and this year we launched a 65-school pilot in Kenya in partnership with the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD). The RHPQ will help drive our ability to reach our Vision for 2024 of measurably impacting one million youth annually across Africa each year.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 700 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students and reach 4 million students more broadly across Africa each year.
Program Quality Oversight
- Work with programs teams to create standards of program quality that can be effectively managed to at scale.
- Keep a pulse on program performance to ensure quality is maintained through aggressive growth.
- Work to develop and integrate soft-measures of quality
Program Execution Oversight
- Work with programs teams to create strategies for field-staff accountability
- Work with Program Directors to test and implement strategies that reduce program operating costs while maintaining impact
- Review budget analytics and support creation of strategies to drive cost per student down, increasing impact for each dollar we spend
- For young country operations, review program budgets against program design to ensure all costs are captured
- Support Country Directors to meet timeline for budget submission
- Work with new countries to develop effective systems of communication
- Support new country operations in creating a culture of open and honest communication, and meeting structures that focus on mentor-centered management.
Expansion & Special Projects
- Lead country scouting for new country expansion
- During times of aggressive growth, support new countries and young countries in planning and executing against plans
- Work with the external relations team to ensure program design is accurately translated into grant applications and proposals- especially for new programs and technical grants
- Support in the development of budgets for grants
- Lead launch of new programs or projects in new or existing countries of operation
- At least 5-8 years of diverse work experience (10+ preferred)
- Experience in program management required (experience in youth or education programs is a plus, but not required)
- Proven ability to identify and build systems/structures needed to drive programmatic and organization efficiency, effectiveness and scale - such as KPIs / performance dashboards, recruitment plans, training plans
- Track record of thriving and achieving results in fast changing high-growth environments at a time of scale
- Open to short-term relocation or stints of heavy travel when necessary to launch a new program or project
- Experience living and working in East Africa (East African candidates preferred)
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Based in East Africa (Nairobi preferred, flexible to be based in Kampala or Kigali)
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.