Educate! is looking for an enthusiastic, self-driven, passionate individual with a great attitude to fill the Position of Finance Officer to post all finance transactions into QuickBooks or any other accounts package Educate! uses, maintain detailed records of supporting documentation for all payment transactions, follow up on advances with all managers before close of the monthly report and train new staff on finance procedures and finance form and collection of feedback Exceptional interpersonal skills, being systems oriented, with high integrity, customer service, and attention to detail are key. You shall join an overachieving team that is positioning Educate! to be the leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa and intensively impact one million youth each year by 2024.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by reforming what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 700 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes nearly 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students across Africa each year.
- Prepares Journal Vouchers.
- Enter all journal entries into the accounting software (currently Quick Books)
- Reconcile ledger accounts.
- Produce daily transaction posting report.
- Filing and labeling all finance documents accordingly.
- Ensure detailed supporting documents are attached on all payments on file.
- Limiting access to none finance teams to ensure safety of documents.
- Reconciling accountabilities against advances prior to posting to prevent partial accounting.
- Tracking balances returned from staff and ensuring it’s duly banked.
- Manage staff AR accounts in QuickBooks, through reviewing accountabilities, reviewing reconciliations.
- Prepare status reports to staff on a weekly basis.
- Training staff on Finance Procedures e.g. the different forms and manual.
- Orientation of New Staff on Finance Procedures
- Do feedback sessions on finance from both field and office staff
- Liaising with Program Support Officer to ensure finance updates are included in the weekly communication.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration (Accounting /Finance Option), B. Commerce or any relevant field.
- Professional experience of at least 1 - 2 years of professional experience
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, with excellent MS Excel skills and QuickBooks
- Experience working in a fast – paced environment, set priorities, work independently as well as thrive a team
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets, Learn more by visiting our website at www.experienceeducate.org
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
Intrigued? Please apply. You will be asked to upload a resume, and your response to the following questions:
Deadline for sending applications is Friday 4th January 2019
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.