Educate! is seeking a people-oriented operations manager to run finance compliance, logistics, procurement and administration support in our Rwanda Country Office. We are looking for someone flexible, honest, knowledgeable, motivated, and people-oriented who can oversee the operations team making sure they provide all the support needed to impact youth across Rwanda. Reporting to the Operations Manager, our new Deputy Operations Manager will oversee and improve upon operation processes to increase efficiency and performance at scale. You will also learn best practices in procurement, finance compliance, logistics and field operations and support our field team in event planning and implementation.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! Provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school.
Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018 we’re working in 175 schools in Rwanda and more than 700 secondary schools in Uganda, and we’ve launched a pilot program in Kenya. Our model was proven to have a massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015 we began serving as a technical advisor to Rwanda on their national curriculum reform.
Educate!’s team includes nearly 200 staff and more than 300 volunteer youth, mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!’s Vision for 2024 is to measurably impact one million students and reach four million students per year more broadly across Africa.
Lead Educate!’s operations team (including Operations and Accounts Officer and Human Resources Coordinator, to efficiently and effectively support program delivery at scale)
- Ensure compliance mechanisms such as annual audits and BvAs are held in a timely and thorough fashion
- Support Country Director in ensuring timely financial reporting, and managing to a monthly budget variance of 5% or less.
- Ensure suppliers and venues payments on due dates.
Procurement and Administration Support
- Ensure team is following logistics protocols (with the guidance of OM)
- Set up and maintain supportive administrative infrastructures like leases and office spaces.
- Ensure timely, cost-effective procurement for goods and services and make sure it abides by Educate! policies.
- Draft contracts for leases and office spaces whenever necessary
- Launch supplier tenders and create a tender committee for quotation evaluation and create an inventory and tracking system for office supplies
- Ensure events are professionally organized and materials are printed on time, in the right quantities, quality and costs
- Ensure staff appraisals are held in a timely fashion for all staff (this includes people analyzers, and a manager review once a year)
- Oversee talent development (recruitment, orientation, training)
- Oversee Operations and Accounts Officer and HR Coordinator work plans
- Take the lead on logistics for all E! Activities - drafting and adhering to logistics protocols where necessary
- Proactively assess E! activity work plans (conferences, training, workshops etc.) to ensure logistics can be executed smoothly
- Maintain knowledge of all planned E! Activities and intervene to improve logistics where necessary
- Ensure distribution and delivery of materials to different Educate! sites
Event and Field Operations
- Ensure the team has all required documentation to operate effectively in the field
- Develop and revise operations procedures where necessary to improve efficiency, and coach staff in the same
- Ensure that processes are well documented for future reflection and replication
- Lead team in reflections on event implementation where necessary
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Business administration or a related subject.
- At least 5 years of professional experience, with at least one two years at management level.
- Experience in working with suppliers, leadership and organizational skills
- Experience working in a startup or social enterprise environment is a plus.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include a generous vacation policy and medical insurance.
- This position will be based in our office in Kigali.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board