Educate! is seeking an Operations Director for our Uganda office who is driven to lead efficient and effective operations to maximize the impact of our program. As Operations Director, you’ll oversee our high-performing finance, administration, human resources, and monitoring & evaluation teams to support program delivery at growing scale.
Educate!’s model was launched in Uganda in 2009, and since then we have worked to build the most innovative, sustainable, scalable and cost-effective model possible. In 2018 we are working in more than 700 schools across all regions of Uganda, and we are scaling to 1,000 schools (30% of all secondary schools in Uganda) by 2024. Reporting to the Deputy Country Director, our new Operations Director in Uganda will oversee and improve upon operational processes to increase efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and performance at scale.
We’re looking for a proactive, meticulously organized and efficient professional with the tenacity and creative problem-solving skills to ensure that all the wheels are turning at maximum efficiency. You’ll need to be ultra-organized, people-oriented, have high ethical and business standards, and believe that no job is too big or too small when it comes to supporting the team.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by reforming what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 700 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes nearly 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students across Africa each year.
Lead Educate!’s operations team (including finance, administration, human resources, and monitoring & evaluation) to efficiently and effectively support program delivery at scale
- Create and lead processes to ensure that operations and program teams collaborate to facilitate efficient and effective delivery of Educate!’s program
- Encourage and build on a culture of customer-centricity in the operations team
- Iterate on operations systems and policies to optimize efficiency and effectiveness at scale
- Anticipate and mitigate operations team risks
- Collaborate with global team to enable innovation around use of technology platforms and systems in Uganda
Oversee the finance function in Uganda, promoting cost-effectiveness and strong financial controls
- Ensure a strong Youth First culture, where decisions are made to maximize the value of every dollar and shilling to create impact on youth
- Uphold values of timeliness, accuracy, continuous learning, and data-driven decisionmaking in the finance function
- Support a strong and strict budget management culture
- Build or maintain strong relationships with banks, tax authorities, government regulators, financial service vendors, and auditors
- Approve payments and transactions
- Improve financial processes through external research, feedback from end-users, and strategic use of technology
Lead the M&E team to generate data and reporting that meets the needs of the programs team to inform program design and delivery
- Support M&E team to use program data and technology solutions that will improve program delivery and operational efficiency
- Advise leadership and management teams on past and projected trends based on data collected from the field
Oversee talent and HR functions to maintain and improve Educate!’s culture of high performance and professional development
- Ensure that systems are in place to promote and emphasize high performance across the Uganda team, including building on our culture of high performance and implementation of performance management systems towards fair appraisal and strong employee development
- Oversee HR compliance and policy implementation
- Advise the HR team in implementation of talent systems to become best-in-class in attracting, retaining, and developing talent
Qualifications and Profile
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- At least seven years of professional experience, including experience managing operations in a fast-paced, high-performance environment and at least five years managing people
- Demonstrated integrity in implementing financial systems
- Organized, influential, and fluent in using technology, including Microsoft Excel
- Advanced budgeting and reporting skills
- Critical thinker with a creative and customer-centric approach to operations
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Ugandan nationals strongly preferred
- Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience
- Benefits include medical insurance
- This position will be based in Kampala, Uganda
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model goes national. In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, in 2015 we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform, and in 2016 we began serving as a technical advisor to Kenya on its national curriculum reform.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.