Educate! is seeking an enthusiastic and self-driven Design Coordinator to lead and manage the design, planning and development of our pilot phase in Kenya, design innovative programs for Educate! This includes problem solving around the challenges of: integration of skills lab across multiple subjects, possibly no formal training time with teachers, unpredictable & contradictory government regulations & timelines, and training the pioneer Kenya team. Design projects will include iterating on the Uganda and Rwanda program design to fit the needs of Kenya, creating standardized communication and training tools for advocacy, facilitating trainings with staff, and reviewing curriculum & assessment tools created by Kenya Government.
Educate!’s top priority as an organization is scaling in Uganda and expanding to new countries. In Uganda, we took a big leap in 2014 from 54 to 238 schools and over 80,000 students. In Rwanda, we are taking a different approach by working through government to support the national competence-based curriculum reform for entrepreneurship subject. Educate! Works closely with three partners Rwanda Education Board, Akazi Kanoze Access and Innovations for Poverty Action. The Rwanda program is called the E!Exchange, the Uganda program is called the Educate! Experience, and the Kenyan Program is called Community Service Learning (CSL).
We have already developed dynamic, high-performing teams in Uganda and globally, and as we expand the need for exceptional leaders hungry for an opportunity to lead and build will only grow. The Design Coordinator will be at the center of this work. Educate! is looking for a master organizer who is energized and driven to lead program designs that will ensure Educate! creates a lasting impact on students.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2016 we’re working in 100 schools in Rwanda and 12% of secondary schools in Uganda (350 schools) reaching over 120,000 students. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015 we began serving as a technical advisor to Rwanda on their national curriculum reform.
Educate!’s team includes 100 staff and over 140 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution.
Educate!’s vision is to reach one million students annually across 10 countries in Africa by 2024.
- Provide national syllabus technical assistance
- Design teaching and learning materials
- Attend workshops on curriculum reform
- Design examination frameworks and examples
- Design sample lessons
- Design Teacher trainings and related workshops
- Capacity building of designers in Educate! and in partners
- Facilitating training of trainers
Design projects will include creating powerpoints, videos, and other standardized communication and training tools and also facilitating trainings with staff
- Capacity building
- Develop training frameworks
- Conduct a training needs assessment
- Manage the design of the pilot of our program in Kenya
- Monitoring progress of the pilot
- Learning systems for responsive design
Experience with design (required); professional teacher/educator (preferred)
- Has earned a bachelor's degree
- Has at least 3 years work experience
- Is a designer, innovator, observer/listener
- Makes designs that are fiercely realistic & practical
- Loves drafting & redrafting & getting feedback from the team
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Benefits include health insurance, annual leave based on company policy
- The Design Coordinator will be based in Kenya
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.