Working closely with the Regional Recruitment Manager & Regional Recruiting Associate, the Recruiting Assistant will be responsible for finding the most qualified candidates, who believe in Educate!’s mission. The Recruiting Assistant is responsible for guiding candidates through our hiring process and connecting them to opportunities to work at Educate! The Recruiting Assistant is creative and driven, with an interpersonal savvy that allows development of lasting relationships with both candidates and hiring managers.
Educate! is a fast-growing non-profit social enterprise, currently operating in Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya, imminently expanding across East Africa and beyond. We deliver to secondary school youth a skills-based model of education, comprised of leadership and entrepreneurship training, mentorship, and real experience starting an enterprise, and work to incorporate our model into national education systems across Africa. Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students, and reach 4 million students more broadly, across Africa each year.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda and over 700 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students and reach 4 million students more broadly across Africa each year.
- Implement creative recruiting strategies to reach prospective applicants.
- Implement key recruiting processes for high-level global and new country hires
- Liaising and maintaining relationships with recruitment channel partners including developing partnership agreements and monitoring performance of these channels.
- Ensure a positive candidate experience for all applicants by responding to enquiries from prospective applicants timely and professionally.
- Act as a point of contact and build influential candidate relationships during the selection process
- Build and follow robust screening and interview techniques to give memorable interview experience to the candidates.
Build candidate pipeline
- Build networks for best-in-class talent sourcing and internal pipelines for several key functions.
- Implement new strategies to further develop the Educate! Brand to prospective applicants.
Implement new technologies
- Support in the implementation and management of recruiting systems
- Influence hiring managers so they adhere to recruiting processes 98% of the time
- Leverage data to develop insights
Country-Specific Recruiting Team Support
- Support our in-country teams in Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda with recruiting needs as they arise.
- Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of 6 months professional experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment
- Attention to detail, organizational and prioritization skills
- Skills in database management and record keeping
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and email/internet
- Exceptional judgment in maintaining confidentiality of employee and candidate information
- Background in HR Preferred
- East African nationals are encouraged to apply
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.