The Edo State Government launched the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) programme in 2018, to revolutionize basic education across the state. The programme is designed to deliver on the Governor’s core belief that ‘'once you get basic education right, everything else falls in place.’’
EdoBEST recognizes that a strong educational foundation will launch its children into a future of success and takes this responsibility seriously. The programme uses a holistic approach that centers on scientifically-based learning materials, a data-driven model and continuous capacity building.
Through EdoBEST, teachers are equipped to leverage technology, motivate pupils and employ scientifically-based learning materials; teaching methods and classroom techniques. EdoBEST head teachers are coached to support their teachers, connect with their communities and take full ownership of all aspects of their schools. While education managers are trained to leverage technology and data-driven approaches to support school staff and effectively fulfill their roles.
EdoBEST is on track to serve hundreds of thousands of children across all government primary and junior secondary schools in the state, improving their learning outcomes and their life opportunities. Critically, the program is also investing in the professional development of government teachers, school leaders and education managers; providing capacity building for thousands of civil servants.
Working hand in hand with the state government to entrench quality education and the structures that enable it is dynamic and urgent work. We need team members that are deeply passionate, thrive in ever-changing environments and enjoy digging into challenges.
We are truly a team of trailblazers working to ensure that the children of Edo State have the opportunity to maximize their potential. We need those that are committed to this transformative programme, and inspired by its ambition, to join us!
Our people are at the core of what we do, and supporting a diverse workforce that spans many industries, and many cultures, while at the same time keeping everyone aligned to our mission and mandate takes focus and determination. We work at massive scale. We are responsible for ensuring we support each team member to succeed, aligned to business goals and constraints. We are responsible for our human capital, including but not limited to all aspects of people operations including payroll, compensation and benefits; administration of all offices and support functions; and employee engagement. We are data-driven, and leverage technology to make both informed and efficient decisions and work processes. We are the champions of our values. We value continuous learning and extensive collaboration, and have a strong focus on performance. We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
About the Role
We are looking for a dynamic, detailed, individual to support our People team on payroll and related compliance with Statutory Authorities. The ideal candidate is one who takes pride in accurate work, has great attention to detail and is very resourceful. This is a generalist role, and the officer will support all People functions for EdoBEST, including administration, people operations, employee engagement, employee onboarding, and other areas as needed. Based in Nigeria, this role reports to the Manager, People.
What You Will Do
- Coordinate the processing, remittance, reconciliation and reporting of all payroll related statutory liabilities (PAYE, NHF, Pension), ensuring EdoBEST's compliance with all payroll related tax laws and regulations.
- Preparation and prompt submission of payroll related inputs for EdoBEST and review the same for accuracy in terms of claims, allowances, tax relief and deductions.
- Administer statutory audit (concerning PAYE, ITF, NHF, Pension, NSITF) process and respond promptly to payroll related queries raised by tax authorities and other regulatory bodies, preparing PAYE audit support data for external auditor’s use.
- Enroll all staff under relevant insurance cover.
- Collate documentation and process ITF training approvals and contribution reimbursement to the organisation.
- Keep accurate and up to date records of all payroll related payments made to statutory authorities
- Register new NewGlobe Nigeria-based staff with regulatory agencies to avert penalties that may arise.
- Support employee onboarding as needed.
- Support employee lifecycle and People Operations functions, as needed.
- Support administration as needed.
- Support any other People functions as needed.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent - preferably in Accounting/Finance or related related course
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in similar roles
- Demonstrable Experience in payroll management and statutory compliance
- Heavy contacts with Regulatory agencies, (e.g. PENCOM, NHF, ITF, NSITF, Tax offices, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of the Nigeria Labour Law and regulations of the field is required
- Proficient in MS Office excel
- Outstanding organisational ability with great attention to detail
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Problem solving, analytical and conceptual skills
- High ethical standard and level of integrity
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organised and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part ofit that is unjust.