Edge & Node stands as the revolutionary vanguard of web3, a vision of a world powered by individual autonomy, shared self-sovereignty and limitless collaboration. Established by trailblazers behind The Graph, we’re on a mission to make The Graph the internet’s unbreakable foundation of open data. Edge & Node invented and standardized subgraphs across the industry, solidifying The Graph as the definitive way to organize and access blockchain data. Utilizing a deep expertise in developing open-source software, tooling, and protocols, we empower builders and entrepreneurs to bring unstoppable applications to life with revolutionary digital infrastructure.
Edge & Node acts on a set of unwavering principles that guide our journey in shaping the future. We champion a decentralized internet—free from concentrated power—where collective consensus aligns what is accepted as truth, rather than authoritative dictation. Our commitment to censorship resistance reinforces our vision of an unyielding information age free from the grasp of a single entity. By building for open-source, we challenge the stagnant landscape of web2, recognizing that true innovation thrives in transparency and collaboration. We imagine a permissionless future where the shackles imposed by central gatekeepers are not only removed, but relegated to the dustbin of a bygone era. And at the foundation of it all, our trust shifts from malevolent middlemen to trustless systems, leveraging smart contracts to eliminate the age-old vulnerabilities of misplaced trust.
The Research & Protocol team works at the intersection of many exciting fields such as software engineering, cryptography, economics and distributed systems to deliver fundamental improvements to The Graph protocol.
Edge & Node is looking for an experienced technical Engineering Manager to lead this team and build a culture of collaboration and predictable solution delivery. You will operate as both a mentor and a manager, which means distilling the work produced by the team and providing guidance to improve both technical rigor and clarity while also coaching and counseling them through one-on-one meetings, feedback and clear actionable items.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Leading a research team of system architects, software developers, data scientists and economists designing the future of The Graph.
- Representing all concerns, technical and otherwise, of your team to senior leadership and vice versa.
- Collaborating with leaders of other functions to define key results for your team that can be delivered on quarterly timescales. Given the nature of research, also plan multiple quarters ahead so that members of your team can focus on multiple time horizons.
- Allocating the time and focus of the team effectively.
- Facilitating transparent and constructive communication between team members.
- Expanding and growing the team culture for healthy and sustainable execution.
- Representing the team's work across the organization and the community, encouraging the team to work in public.
- Ensuring the team is connected with the latest technological advances in web3 that can help them drive their designs.
What We Expect
- +10 years of combined experience in technical and management roles.
- Technical curiosity that enables you to understand both mathematical models and system architecture concepts.
- Solving hard challenges - Demonstrated ability to discover solutions to hard problems with many constraints and leading a team to bring them to reality.
- Working in public - Experience with open-source software and public collaboration as part of a larger community.
- Mentoring - Experience managing, coaching and mentoring software engineering teams of 6 or more people.
- Communicate your ideas - Experience with conveying complex technical ideas in written, verbal and presentational forms.
- Team building - Experience recruiting, interviewing and retaining software engineering teams. Strong understanding of growing teams and processes and be accountable for the overall team’s performance and quality of software.
- Mission driven - You’re passionate about building the open data foundation for web3.
- Bonus point if you worked as a web3 economics researcher in the past.
About The Graph
The Graph is the indexing and query layer of web3. The Graph Network’s self service experience for developers launched in July 2021. Developers build and publish open APIs, called subgraphs, that applications can query using GraphQL. The Graph supports indexing data from multiple different networks including Ethereum, NEAR, Arbitrium, Optimism, Polygon, Avalanche, Celo, Fantom, Moonbeam, IPFS, and PoA with more networks coming soon. To date, tens-of-thousands of subgraphs have been deployed on the hosted service, and now subgraphs can be deployed directly on the network. Over 28,000 developers have built subgraphs for applications such as Uniswap, Synthetix, KnownOrigin, Art Blocks, Balancer, Livepeer, DAOstack, Audius, Decentraland, and many others.
If you are a developer building an application or web3 application, you can use subgraphs for indexing and querying data from blockchains. The Graph allows applications to efficiently and performantly present data in a UI and allows other developers to use your subgraph too! You can deploy a subgraph to the network using the newly launched Subgraph Studio or query existing subgraphs that are in the Graph Explorer. The Graph would love to welcome you to be Indexers, Curators and/or Delegators on The Graph’s mainnet. Join The Graph community by introducing yourself in The Graph Discord for technical discussions, join The Graph’s Telegram chat, and follow The Graph on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, and Medium! The Graph’s developers and members of the community are always eager to chat with you, and The Graph ecosystem has a growing community of developers who support each other.
The Graph Foundation oversees The Graph Network. The Graph Foundation is overseen by the Technical Council. Edge & Node, StreamingFast, Messari, Semiotic and The Guild are five of the many organizations within The Graph ecosystem.