About Echoing Green:
Echoing Green identifies tomorrow’s transformational leaders today. Through its Fellowships and other innovative leadership initiatives, Echoing Green spots emerging leaders and invests deeply in their success to accelerate their impact.
Echoing Green has been ahead of the curve for 30 years, supporting visionary leaders around the world who are transforming their communities by addressing challenges in focus areas related to economic development, racial and gender equity, environmental sustainability, and more. Since its founding, Echoing Green has provided more than $45 million in funding to over 800+ Fellows who have worked in more than 86 countries and 39 U.S. states.
They’ve established a global community of emerging leaders who have launched Teach for America, City Year, One Acre Fund, SKS Microfinance, Last Mile Health, Hot Bread Kitchen, Public Allies, and hundreds of others. These organizations have leveraged Echoing Green’s seed investment to raise more than $5 billion in public and private funding. Echoing Green unleashes unexpected potential by tracking down the best and the brightest leaders, bringing them together, and launching them on their path to success.
Those who work at Echoing Green have a front row seat to the brightest leaders with the most innovative ideas driving social progress across the world. They are fired up to be their partners, their advocates, and their biggest champions.
For more information on Echoing Green, please visit www.echoinggreen.org.
The Director, Finance and Accounting (“Director”) is responsible for managing the full range of finance and accounting functions at Echoing Green.
As an officer of the organization, the Director will provide strategic insight and support to the Executive Team, President, Board of Directors, and Finance and Audit Committee. This position is responsible for setting policies and procedures to support sound financial practices and ensuring that the appropriate infrastructure and systems are in place to support continued growth and evolution of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively engage in strategic and operational planning and help measure and track results
- Introduce and analyze financial considerations into decision making
- Lead implementation of strategy in functional area (Finance & Accounting)
Budgeting, Financial Reporting & Cash Management
- Establish, update and manage budgeting processes and policies
- Provide staff training around budgeting
- Drive the annual budget development process; coordinate with budget managers and the Executive Team throughout the year on budget revisions, projections, and scenario planning
- Meet with budget managers to monitor annual budget versus actual expenses on a monthly basis, and makes changes as necessary
- Develop cash projections and effectively manages seasonality of cash flow
- Work with executive team on annual compensation analysis and decision making
Accounting & Financial Oversight
Oversee Finance & Accounting team in their daily functions and support team in:
- Implementing daily accounting functions including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, financial reporting, and monthly close process.
- Developing strong internal controls over fiscal processes.
- Creating grant budgets and ensuring proper tracking of restricted funding in coordination with Development staff.
- Completing required tax filings and audit activities.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to Finance team
Systems and Processes
- Identify areas of efficiency and improvement and actively work towards streamlining and implementing new processes
- Incorporate technology considerations and other innovative ideas into new processes
- Design, maintain, and communicate effective internal control systems
- Share financial expertise with Echoing Green fellows as applicable and necessary
- Works with Executive Office to organize Finance and Audit Committee meetings
- Communicates financial and annual audit results to Finance and Audit Committees and Board of Directors, as well as other key stakeholders, as needed
Requirements & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related degree as a minimum; Master’s Degree or Certification in a related field preferred
- Minimum of 7 years of professional hands-on experience in non-profit finance
- Hands-on management experience in non-profit financial management, audit, compliance, budget and resource development
- Experience working in non-profit organizations with international focus
- Knowledge and application of GAAP requirements
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks and prioritize competing responsibilities
- Experience with Salesforce and Fund-EZ required; or strong ability/aptitude to learn Salesforce and Fund-EZ.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with proven ability to work in small teams, as well as lead, develop, and mentor staff across the organization
- Ability to build and develop effective relationships across teams; collaborative
- Awareness of different work styles across teams and ability to using use that to help round out team dynamics; ability to manage up when needed
- Flexible self-starter willing to work hands on; high attention to detail and highly results-oriented
- Operations and systems-oriented; a process thinker with demonstrated operations experience at a senior level
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Echoing Green offers a full benefits package including medical, dental, vision insurance, life insurance, and a 403(b)-retirement savings plan with an employer match.
Some travel may be required.
As an equal opportunity employer, Echoing Green encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.