Position Title: Director, Development
Location: New York, NY
About Echoing Green
Echoing Green identifies tomorrow’s transformational leaders today. Through its Fellowships and other innovative leadership initiatives, Echoing Green spots emerging leaders and invests deeply in their success to accelerate their impact.
Echoing Green has been ahead of the curve for 30 years, supporting visionary leaders around the world who are transforming their communities by addressing challenges in focus areas related to economic development, racial and gender equity, environmental sustainability, and more. Since its founding, Echoing Green has provided more than $45 million in funding to over 800+ Fellows who have worked in more than 86 countries and 39 U.S. states.
They’ve established a global community of emerging leaders who have launched Teach for America, City Year, One Acre Fund, SKS Microfinance, Last Mile Health, Hot Bread Kitchen, Public Allies, and hundreds of others. These organizations have leveraged Echoing Green’s seed investment to raise more than $5 billion in public and private funding. Echoing Green unleashes unexpected potential by tracking down the best and the brightest leaders, bringing them together, and launching them on their path to success.
Those who work at Echoing Green have a front row seat to the brightest leaders with the most innovative ideas driving social progress across the world. They are fired up to be their partners, their advocates, and their biggest champions.
For more information on Echoing Green, please visit www.echoinggreen.org.
As Echoing Green continues to expand its network of leaders and social entrepreneurs, the Director of Development (“Director”) will bring an entrepreneurial, strategic and insightful lens to engaging individual and institutional donors in the organization’s work. Ideal candidates will be driven by social innovation and will be passionate about Echoing Green’s mission.
The Director will report to the Vice President, External Affairs and will drive the fundraising activity of the President, Executive Team, frontline team, and a deeply engaged Board of Directors.
- Develop and apply a strategy to retain a $10M annual funding and expand a base of support to a $15M goal in coming years through relationships with high-net worth individuals and institutional partnerships
- Spearhead efforts to grow the fundraising/development team; hire, manage, train and mentor development staff
- Work with the team to strengthen relationships with individuals, major donors, corporations, foundations, and family offices
- Solicit six-figure gifts and multi-year gifts with capability to manage seven-figure gifts
- Demonstrate extensive understanding of strategic and entrepreneurial donor cultivation/moves management, research, and pipeline development for a national portfolio of major/leadership gifts and complex foundation/corporate partnerships
- Develop and leverage communications effectively to engage donors and publicize key partnerships
- Oversee and creatively contribute to event success (virtual and in person) by securing event leadership, honorees, tables buyers, and ticket buyers for Echoing Green’s Big Bold Benefit
- Manage a portfolio of 50-100 top donors and prospects
- Work closely with an active and high-profile Board of Directors and Board Co-Chairs to cultivate and steward engagement with the organization, including Board fundraising efforts
- Engage Board Members around short-term and long-term fundraising goals through board liaison work of the Executive Office
- Understanding of effective Board expansion with enthusiasm to work with Board of Directors to identify and engage new Board prospects
- Inspire, support, and manage a team of three to four high-performing development professionals
- Communicate regularly and effectively with Echoing Green leadership, Board Chairs, and top funders
- Lead development team towards building and maintaining robust, data-driven systems to support a dynamic development operation
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer and Finance Team to implement and manage the organization’s financial goals
- Assess fundraising risks and accurately forecast revenue pipeline for budgeting and forecasting purposes
Skills and Experiences
- Understanding and enthusiasm for the social innovation and impact investing space and increasing revenue to support social enterprises
- At least ten (10) years of successful experience in cultivating deep relationships with major donors, investors, companies, foundations, or event donors
- Thorough understanding of project management systems and databases such as Salesforce, Basecamp, Give Lively, etc. and willingness to work with them hands-on to coordinate a large team and keep track of funders/prospects
- Track record of success working in close partnership with a dynamic CEO or President and direct experience working with high-powered Board Members
- Demonstrated success increasing the number of donors and/or investors in a portfolio of prospects, as well as the scale of contributions
- Creative and entrepreneurial approach, with an orientation toward results
- Comfort establishing clear metrics and driving results according to plan, while maintaining a high degree of flexibility and creativity within a constantly changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, orally and in writing
- Strong ability to identify and prioritize prospects
- Ability to identify opportunities for process improvement and leverage Salesforce to optimize fundraising, donor stewardship and moves management
- Direct Development Staff to mater fundraising operations
- Ability to work collaboratively with programs team to draft proposals, incorporate fundraising into ongoing organizational communications and events
- Ability to enhance efficiency and communication among development, programs and finance team
- Possess financial understanding and acumen
- Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) is a plus
Attributes and Competencies
- Autonomous and thoughtful approach to problem-solving
- Collaborative, flexible, and innovative leadership and managerial style
- Well-suited to leadership in an entrepreneurial, collegial setting; excited to be part of a “roll-up-your- sleeves” culture
- Strong organizational skills and an attention to detail
- Energetic, positive outlook
- Understanding of or passion for social innovation in the U.S. and globally
- Ability to manage and motivate a team in remote work conditions, while navigating a difficult funding environment
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Echoing Green offers a full benefits package including medical, dental, vision insurance, life insurance, and a 403(b)-retirement savings plan with an employer match.
Some travel may be required.
As an equal opportunity employer, Echoing Green encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.