Positions Report to: Senior Director of Human Resources
Start/End Date: Immediate
Compensation: The salary range for this role is $70,000-$80,000 (EHTP also offers a comprehensive benefits package)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Who We Are
East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) began in 1958 as a children's reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for traditional public school students and a network of public charter schools focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. We are on track to serve at least 25% of East Harlem students by 2025, with enrollment for this year at approximately 2200 students in our schools and after school programs. In 2020, 99% of our seniors were accepted to college, and our current scholars in college are on-track to graduate at eight times the national average of their peers.
At EHTP we also aim to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. As staff members, we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials, and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. Read our racial equity statement here.
We ground all of our work in racial equity, in our core values, and in our four guiding pursuits: the Revolutionary Pursuit of Love, the Radical Pursuit of Knowledge, the Responsive Pursuit of Healing, and in the Relentless Pursuit of Results. These pursuits inform and are reflected in our current four key strategic priorities: to increase high-impact, high-quality academic curriculum, programming content, staff capacity, and coaching; to embrace and advance our use of technology; to deepen our embodiment of ethical and equitable radical humanity; and to efficiently operationalize teaching, learning, community, and care.
About The Opportunity
We are seeking a Human Resources Generalist (HR) to support the daily functions of the HR department for our schools, East Harlem Scholars Academies. The HR Generalist will work closely with campus staff to ensure employees have what they need to be successful. Reporting to the Director of HR, the HR Generalist oversees the employee experience for over 200 staff members. In partnership with others on the HR team, the HR Generalist will gather and analyze data and findings in order to inform human resource decisions, employee experience, compensation and benefits, and organizational culture. The HR Generalist will assist in the review our HR policies and identify opportunities that will support the organization in creating a working environment that is radically human.
What are the Job Responsibilities?
Operations and Team Management
- Be the HR point of contact for our Elementary or Secondary schools
- Drive the onboarding and offboarding process for new hires and separating employees
- Complete requests for employment verification requests and unemployment claims
- Support with new technology systems implementation
- Ensure timely and adequate responses to emails in the HR inbox
- Maintain electronic employee personnel files
- Collaborate in special projects and ad hoc reporting as assigned by Senior Director, HR
- Identify opportunities for process improvements and seamlessly drive and implement changes
- Stay up-to-date with relevant employment policies and regulations that impact EHTP and ensure compliance with all legal employment regulations
- Support with leading employee relations conversations or investigations and facilitating mediation meetings
- Manage medical and parental leaves in partnership with the leave of absence team at TriNet
Finance and Payroll
- Prepare and track consultant and employee stipend agreements and submit them to Finance or Payroll
- Provide support to Finance during audit season and 990’s tax filing
- Act as primary contact for employee questions on payroll
Benefits & Compensation
- Lead annual employment renewal process in partnership with Senior Director, HR
- Point of contact for benefits questions and support for employees
- Collaborate with the HR team to provide support to staff during open enrollment and other high-peak periods
Policies and Procedures
- Maintain HR Processes and compliance guides in partnership with HR team members
- Support annual review of employee handbooks and policy development
- Ensure all staff meet the compliance requirements for TEACH clearance including pre-hire fingerprinting
- Ensure all Pre-K staff maintain regular compliance with Department of Education (DOE) regulations
- Provide support to teachers and other staff pursuing NYS certification in education
- Conduct annual teacher certification audits to ensure compliance with SUNY governance
- Support with SUNY audits and charter renewal process
Who Are YOU?
- You enjoy helping people, building new and positive relationships, and have a customer-service-based approach to the people you serve.
- You are a professional and show integrity with confidential information that you are privy to.
- You believe in East Harlem Tutorial Program’s mission, and racial equity statement and exhibit our core values.
- You are comfortable learning new technologies.
- You use conflict resolution skills when mediating employee relations issues.
- You have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- You are organized and ensure attention to detail.
- You have excellent time management skills and are comfortable meeting deadlines.
- You are comfortable making autonomous decisions and have strong problem-solving skills.
What Experiences are we Looking for?
- 4+ years of experience in Human Resources
- Experience leading employee relations, ideally within education
- Knowledge of New York state teacher certification (preferred but not required)
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience (preferred but not required)
- Experience using Google Suite and Microsoft Office technology
For the safety of our students and staff, East Harlem Tutorial Program requires all staff members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We do allow for medical and religious exemptions that adhere to our policy and CDC guidelines. If you have any questions and would like further information, please reach out to HR@ehtp.org.
Thank you for taking the time to submit an application.